Sign in to follow this  
KC Deck

My first "balk" of the season

Question

Out doing estimates today. Bid a 600 linear foot close picket 6' fence. Bid according to my typical price range and the customer almost fell over. He said "I thought it would cost half as much". Well, a little background first. Fence was built 3 years ago in the heat of the summer. Stain was applied by airless sprayer in 100 degree heat 2 weeks after install. Needless to say, the stain failed and now they want it redone and made to look nice. I explained to him the whole strip/clean/brighten/reseal method and I think he finally understood what I meant and why my price was so high. He thought he could just have someone come over and apply new stain over old stain and "gray" areas of his fence. Hopefully I will get the job because I really like doing fences, but we'll see. I did get two other jobs tho, so the whole day wasn't wasted. Good luck to everyone else this year!!!

5 answers to this question

KC,

I hear you. Pricing is a difficult thing. On the one hand, you look at a job and think, "what's it worth to the customer". On the other, you just know there is more work around and you know the cost of doing business. Whats the job worth to you?

Taken me 5 yrs. just to get a feel for my local market and pricing. And I still do not know much. But I do know now what it costs to be in business and what a reasonable return should be. Now not so sure about letting 75% of decent paying jobs support the 25% marginals.

The past two days the shoe was on the other foot. Been looking and pricing out truck lettering and logos. Three separate small local companies. One is $2500, one is $900, and am awaiting a quote on the third one I visited this afternoon. Know what? I'm leaning half way towards the highest at this point. You do get what you pay for.

Point is, good customers will pay for quality work. Marginal customers will not. Kinda simple in a way but hard to folow when the chips are down and the job schedule is short. I'm becoming convinced that good marketing is one key to overcome this flaw in human nature. Finding the right customers and more importantly, getting the right customers to find you is paramount. Meeting with Mr. Fenner later this week and I'm hoping he has the the lockpick to the holy grail!

Hear that Ken? Lunch at Joe's Diner or Le Bec-Fin? My credit card. Blue jeans and good beer mandatory.

Ken,

Le Bec-Fin would not let me in the door. Joe's Bar and Grill would. Your call, its your turf. Best that can be hoped for, make the decision on the fly. Just wait till you meet and see me.

K. Fenner's marketing expertise is worth more than pig knuckles in a jar.

Ken,

...after we start making money.

With what I'm putting into this new truck, that will be August! Westgate Pub sounds right up my alley. One last detail if you please. Do they allow smoking in Pa. bars? A beer is just not a good beer without a smoke.