Sign in to follow this  
Neil_Asheville

Dryvit help, please

Question

I've never seen one this bad. I've washed maybe 10 total drivit homes, however most just need attention to soffits/facia/gutters/window sills, etc. I looked at this home today and can't tell if this is soiling like a mold or mildew or if it's a fading paint or somehow flaking/wearing off of the actual drivit material? There are obvious algae areas, but the black sections?

I'm most concerned with expectations to give to HO prior to cleaning. Any SC or FL guys see drivit this bad?

Thanks!

/neil

post-1223-13777217673_thumb.jpg

post-1223-137772176736_thumb.jpg

post-1223-13777217674_thumb.jpg

15 answers to this question

Most of it should come off with a strong hose wash mix. Your mix should have strong RPC Citra Clean or Simple cherry and a longer dwell and may need 2 applications. Then the black stuff you'll usually see on the dryvit near roof lines, there is times you cant get the stuff completly off even after several applications. Some soft brushing may be required. Dont promise them the world, explain that some of the finish may have permanant stains/damage

Its a shame people let their property go like that. Then they wonder why there is damage

Good luck

Jeff

Hello Neil, That is very common down here in South Texas. That kind of mess needs a strong mix, long dwell times and usually multiple applications. Most of the time there is a slight permanent stain but I tell them about the potential stain in the beginning so they are aware. When that gets worse and has sat for more years and is about 1/8" thick or thicker, that is what we have down here a lot of times. I do not know why the homeowner waits so long. A few have told me that they just never noticed it until recently. Make sure that your 10%, 12%, or 15% is fresh and strong. Good Luck.

That's pretty normal for Dryvit in warm, humid areas. This is no harder to clean than any other house - in fact easier than vinyl - IMHO. I downstream 12.5%. I add my "herbs & spices", heat to 120 or so and apply. Trust your mix - allow to dwell a few minutes - it will work. No pressure, no brushing, no permanent stains (sorry Chris). Dryvit/Stucco

Here are some pics of a dryvit house I did a couple of years ago. The really nasty areas required 12% straight through the x-jet. My normal house wash wouldn't touch it. Notice the deterioration from neglect/no maintenance.

post-1077-137772176751_thumb.jpg

post-1077-137772176755_thumb.jpg

post-1077-137772176758_thumb.jpg

Be careful using heat on some dryvit. There are homes around here that have very poor quality dryvit and any extra heat or pressure, even brushing, you'll see the stuff coming off.

12.5 % SH ... a strong batch, and simple cherry .. Low pressure .. keep the grass wet the whole time, apply, rinse, reapply ... Use the x-jet if you have one (better reach, better aplicaiton)

I'll do it, Dan. Then we can ALL rejoice in knowing you aren't going to blow yourself up and exausting us just READING about your tinkerings and struggles!!! In my mind I have you looking just like the crazy haired zany professor in Back to the Future :)

From the above 11 posts you shouldn't need much more convincing.

/neil

I've done Dryvit homes. None quite that bad but I usually use Power House with SH in a mix that puts the SH at about 3%. X-jet on and wait. Rinse thoroughly. Has worked well for me. Some bad stains may need something else to get them off. No more than 600 psi on Dryvit. Usually I just use a chem tip.

After pics...

That's pretty bad. I get that every now and then. I usually have to hit with straight 10.5 via a pump up sprayer to get the real bad areas.

After pics...

That's pretty bad. I usually have to hit the real bad areas like that with some straight 10.5% via a pump up sprayer.