Sign in to follow this  
Proclean

WTW Ipe Red Cedar

Question

11 answers to this question

Thats stock WHG on the floor, Paul? Looks a littler "redder" than I am used to seing on ipe. Could also be the picture like you mentioned. I am actually going to break my vow and get some field time on a big ipe project we have coming up.

Looks great...but....uh...what about the over-spray on the brick? That is a pistol to get off.

We have done a deck with the same design in the rails with poles for spindles and the rails cedar. Finally turned the customer on to wtw western cedar for the Ipe' and they loved it.

Rod!~

btw, Ironwood aka Hornbeam is not in the same as Ipe and rarely achieves use in lumber due to it's small size which is limitedly suitable as a building material. Ipe' in contrast grows taller and has a thicker trunk which makes it suitable for lumber and other milling production.

There is also this... Ironwood Information

Looks like Ironwood is also a "brand" Ironwoods, Ironwood - Ipe hardwood, decking, bridges, boardwalks, docks. Durable wood decking materials

Ipe is also often referred to as "ironwood".

No matter how you slice it, it's beautiful wood and a joy to work on.

Beth :)

Sorry, no over spray. Don't spray within 1 foot of a home. I think everyone konws that you cut in with a brush. What you may be seeing is the 1.5" border piece that is added as a trim piece and stained.

Like my email says. I work only with Ironwoods and Beth is exactly right. It is a trademarked name.

Rod,

I think the pic isn't coming across very well. The trim piece is about 1" high. If I could post a higher resolution pic, I think it would better show what is going on. If it looks like there is stain on the brick, I can tell you that is not the case. The guys hand brush up close to the house.

If I could take better pics, I could leave the woderful world of staining :)