Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

Ladder Standoff

Hello People, I need to get a couple of ladder standoffs for a 24' fiberglass and a 32' aluminum ladder. I have not used these standoffs before. Is there one better than the others? Certain things to look for? Certain brands better than others? This will be for a job this weekend on a 3 story stucco house that I do not want the ladder damaging. I think that the standoff will give good protection.Thanks.

OK, I have to ask - Why are you using a ladder? Either downstreaming or X-Jetting, a step ladder should be all you need.

Having said that, when I do need a ladder, I always use a stand-off - actually, I think its normally referred to as a stabilizer. I prefer the model that can be easily added or removed. When transporting, I prefer to not have the "wings" sticking out past the side of my van. They only take a second to attach/remove.

I agree with John. We got our removable stabilizers from Sherwin Williams or Lowes. Made by Werner Ladders. We also have a little giant type made by werner that cost half of little giant. Good and sturdy.

John, This particular house has dormer-like structures that stick out from the wall and are wide and make the job of cleaning the house real hard. The window is blocking a shot from in front and it is wide so from the sides you will not get everything. I was thinking of a ladder off to the side so I can go up about 10' or so and be able to downstream and reach it. I might take my 12' step ladder and be able to get it that way. I had some questions for you John if I could call. Please let me know. PM me the number and when it is ok if possible. Thanks.

I recently bought a Ladder Max to use for some gutter cleaning jobs. It can sit on the roof to keep the ladder off the gutters and give you a more comfortable position to work from. It can also be laid against a wall like a regular stand off. Attaches with some pins in just a few seconds. My only complaint with it is that it needs to be a couple of inches wider. It won't easily fit across a single window.

John, This particular house has dormer-like structures that stick out from the wall and are wide and make the job of cleaning the house real hard. The window is blocking a shot from in front and it is wide so from the sides you will not get everything. I was thinking of a ladder off to the side so I can go up about 10' or so and be able to downstream and reach it. I might take my 12' step ladder and be able to get it that way. I had some questions for you John if I could call. Please let me know. PM me the number and when it is ok if possible. Thanks.

Call anytime, I've added my number to my signature 757/718-5442.

I don't know what's going on but the last few jobs I have done required a ladder for part of the work. Sharp angles to have to shoot from, dormers that couldn't be hit and other architectural wierdness. Last year I pulled a ladder out once or twice. I had one out three times in the last week even with the x-jet.