Sign in to follow this  
Freshlook

Behr hell-o

Question

Ok so I have found a deck that is testing my nerves and patience. a 18x16 deck no spindles but a wrap around bench on the lowest railing that has a red solid (NOW PINK) BEHR. I applied HD80 at full strength dwell time of 30 minutes and it didn't even phase this crap! Some came off but left patches of areas that just are stubborn. So I tried letting the stripper dwell long for 45 minutes, and NOTHING! I am working on getting the booster for the HD80 as I was told it would help, But for now I have resorted to a Belt Sander with 50 grit then finishing it up with 80 grit. This is just the floor area and I had to call it quits today, any suggestions for the outside railings? I am a few nerves away from removing each board and Plaining them down 1/32nd of an inch to remove this. I've encountered stubborn behr before but NEVER like this! Anyone have suggestions

I had posted this on another BB and another member mentioned that I have encountered a Behr Silicone stain. if this is true, it's my 1st and what's the best method? or just to sand the whole deck down with 50grit belt sander then finish with 80 grit orbital sander?

12 answers to this question

Yep, sounds like Behr silicone. Even the strongest stripper is going to leave pigment in the wood. I have had to do extensive sanding with this stuff.

Check out this thread and look at the first picture. Looking at it now you will understand the hue/tone of the stripped wood.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/scrap-book/7264-not-your-daddys-film-former.html

You might have to go with a bit darker tone to cover up. I strongly recommend using wood tux on that deck. The reason is, that silicone/acrylic will still be down in the wood and a deep pentrating sealer will not have anywhere to go.

Increase the dwell time, don't turn on the machine until you can scratch at the finish with stirring stick or tip or whatever and get to the wood. Keep the product wet with more product. If it dried, it deactivates.

Beth

Don't know much about HD80 - but compared to what I do - I would use 12 oz. of the stuff to a gallon of water - add a pint of propylene glycol based anti-freeze - add some more surfactant - lay it on the wood and cover up with a thin sheet plastic drop cloth. Let it sit for 2 hrs. Rinse. Repeat. Make sure to use the 1 mil plastic - water can actually travel through it - so you can mist right over the plastic - and it will keep adding moisture to the wood.

Dan, that will take a majority of the surface stuff off, but this stuff penetrates and cures pretty deep in the wood. Wait til you encounter it, you'll know what I mean. The pigmentation must be a dye of some sort.

Don't know much about HD80 - but compared to what I do - I would use 12 oz. of the stuff to a gallon of water - add a pint of propylene glycol based anti-freeze - add some more surfactant - lay it on the wood and cover up with a thin sheet plastic drop cloth. Let it sit for 2 hrs. Rinse. Repeat. Make sure to use the 1 mil plastic - water can actually travel through it - so you can mist right over the plastic - and it will keep adding moisture to the wood.

Well i only used F-18 and extra flakes to make it hotter.It only takes patience and mutiple strips with aggitating the wood with a deck brush also helps.I didn't need to go to a chemistry class to learn how to mix my chems so i didn't blow up. :D

Ken - by any chance, is this one of those products that claims 7 year warrantees? Silicone that gets deep in the wood? Kind of sounds like that

Dr. Gunther von Hagens 'BodyWorld' Plastination process to preserve human bodies - creepy! I guess maybe a low pressure bath of several hundred gallons of Acetone per deck should do the trick.

Ken - by any chance, is this one of those products that claims 7 year warrantees? Silicone that gets deep in the wood? Kind of sounds like that.

I believe the last time I checked their silicone based product was supposed to last 7-10 years, unfortunatly it fades WELL before then usually 2-3 years. The deck I am working on was orrigionally a brick red, now 3 years later it's a nice pretty pink.

Update: ok. after $150 worth of sandpaper and 2 days just trying to remove the stain I did a droplett test and the water JUST POOLED!! so I have convinced the client to apply a latex based product, and eventually replace the wood with a reface. I'm strongly upset that I wasn't able to get her what she wanted, however I can only go with what I'm given to work with. The funny part is that not 2 minutes later she asked me if I could get her some decor gravel for her flowerbeds, and clean out her gutters. So I'm happy she wasn't UPSET WITH ME, but she wants a glossy finish on her deck and without using a pool and spa stain I've never been able to achieve that GLOSS look.