Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Sullivan

what is 'palupa?'

Question

i have a deck to do a proposal on and the customer says the wood is 'palupa.' one, i don't know if i am spelling it right because i can't google it, and two if it is a type of wood, what is it?

it appears very dense, like ipe, and i am not sure i have to know what it is to work with it. but, if it is a super dense wood like ipe, i would like to be upfront with the customer on longevity of stains on the surfaces.

thanks in advance,

11 answers to this question

Aaron.

Pau Lope (pow-lowpay) is in the ipe family of brazilian hardwood. It also appears to be a trademarked name? Restoration and finish expectations should be just like your regular ipe jobs.

Pau Lope Decking - The World's Finest Decking

I've seen samples, however have not yet worked on a Pau Lope branded project. Hope this helps.

/neil

could you be more specific? my understanding is ipe technically does not need 'treating' as nothing will penetrate the surface. but some customers prefer cleaning and tinting. do you do it yearly? do you try to talk them into a yearly cleaning instead? do you charge the same as a normal strip and stain?

some more information would be appreciated.

thanks,

Although ipe is a much more resistant wood to say rotting or insect damage it still turns gray extremely quick from UV. Assuming there is no other stain on it you still want to do a cleaning (some will say just a bleach soap mix) or a precarb cleaner to get rid of the gray and dirt

Definitely still seal it. Woodtux is by far the recomended sealer for ipe. Visit esproducts.net for info on it. One coat on ipe and wipe off and puddles. Finishes well.

Not much ipe around me, so maybe someone else will chime in with more information. Try searching here also. There are several contractors that do primarily ipe and may have posted better information