Sign in to follow this  
Coastal Painter

new shur flo rig

Question

Oh boy Just got all my stuff today.. 1.8 pump, hoses, 12v battery.. Hooked it all up on the bed of my p/u just to give it a 'smoke test'.. WOW that is awesome... Now i just need some quick disconnects' ..Question?? now how do I set the rig up for ease of moving around?? Should I do a dolly set up or??? Replies welcomed..

later

m\Mark

24 answers to this question

Shane has his setup in a bucket and it works great. Baterry beside the pump enclosed in the bucket, with exit cutouts for the hoses. It works great, he likes it alot. The only thing I would improve on the mobility is to get a two wheeler and attach a small hose reel to the top of it for the hose. It truely does make for less lifting and easier movement. that's just me. Shane is sold on his setup. I just don't like to carry anything, I would rather roll it around.

Congrats on your setup, andget with Shane to see if he will post a pic of his setup. It's pretty cool and that's about the only thing I can think of that will make it less physical.

I love my Stratocaster.... she cries alot.

Mark:

What do you use your new outfit for?

Dennis

I will be using it to apply fence and deck/house wash, in addition to my x-jet.(I have learned so much good info here on this site way too cool) And also Will be using it to get sealer down before I back roll

Mark

pics anyone of this type battery setup?

mine is 110 and mounted to lid rather hokie looking right now..when not in use the cord, hose, and pump dissapear within by flipping lid over.

p.s.- yes RS instructions online says their sealer can indeed be put through one of these as well as a pump up..

I built a Bucketster myself out of parts I had laying around, plus 40 ft. of hose. I considered one of these garden cart type thingees instead, which may be right up your alley. It has plenty room for a battery, pump, and other accessories. The lid lifts up and works as a handle. You can pull it around by the handle, then fold it over to keep the spray out.

BTW, does anyone know where I can get 3/8 hose barb quick connects with shutoffs for my bucketster?

post-1644-137772177135_thumb.jpg

BTW, does anyone know where I can get 3/8 hose barb quick connects with shutoffs for my bucketster?

Although I shut off spray with wand like everyone else there really is a need at times to shut off the supply earlier. I'll at times need to prime pump and is convienant to do so from the quik end with a garden hose, etc. Once it is primed a nice flow of acid or whatever can get me before I have time to stick the wand back on..I suppose I really need a check valve on either of the inlet/outlet to keep the prime after initial startup.

Here is pic of the simple npt converter from big box store.. (no shutoff) :

post-2209-137772177139_thumb.jpg

Am not understanding here... where is the supply water?

There is no water supply the shurflo pump is pulling the chems out of a pre mix bucket of chems.

I'll post my pic later of the set up it's nothing extravagant but it gets the jobs done! :cool:

There is no water supply the shurflo pump is pulling the chems out of a pre mix bucket of chems.

I'll post my pic later of the set up it's nothing extravagant but it gets the jobs done! :cool:

So two buckets..one to hold equipment, and one to hold mix. Or in Larry's case one tote thingy and one bucket of mix.

Thing about my 110v is that the location has to have outside power or I have my machine running in order to use it's generator power..aint good for most part except for one less heavy thing to carry around...... Battery version surely is the way to go if your willing to deal with it's weight!!

Although I shut off spray with wand like everyone else there really is a need at times to shut off the supply earlier. I'll at times need to prime pump and is convienant to do so from the quik end with a garden hose, etc. Once it is primed a nice flow of acid or whatever can get me before I have time to stick the wand back on..I suppose I really need a check valve on either of the inlet/outlet to keep the prime after initial startup.

Here is pic of the simple npt converter from big box store.. (no shutoff) :

I'm looking for plastic quick connects that I can use to disconnect the hose from the bucketster, without liquid (or Stain) leaking from the hose when I do so. I think I may have found some made for medical use.

Sounds like yea maybe the medical field could be plastic..

The carpet steam cleaners have a system but they are metal.

Actually the system is geared well for our application as they use the same type pumps. So a carpet cleaner supply house usually will have premade hoses and fittings.

post-2209-137772177154_thumb.jpg

post-2209-137772177159_thumb.jpg

Just some thoughts...No dolly needed with 110v and you can carry it around in muddy backyards, place on decks, lift to roof if ya like. Cap over pump can be made with the bottom of a fiver to where it looks good and no one knows what trade secrets are beneith...

Doubt anyone interested in switching though due to the cord power though..

still have to lug around an extension cord. The battery doesn't have to be super heavy. Even a motorcycle battery or jetski battery will last a few jobs and can get thrown on the charger when you get home

If you have enough hose you don't have to worry about the weight of it. Why lift a sprayer setup onto a deck or roof when you can simply use 100 or 200 feet of hose to take you where you need to go

still have to lug around an extension cord. The battery doesn't have to be super heavy. Even a motorcycle battery or jetski battery will last a few jobs and can get thrown on the charger when you get home

If you have enough hose you don't have to worry about the weight of it. Why lift a sprayer setup onto a deck or roof when you can simply use 100 or 200 feet of hose to take you where you need to go

It ends up being to each their own but personally I wouldn't care for all the chemical that such a hose would be holding. It either has to get sprayed, left in hose, or be allowed to go back into bucket via gravity.

When my one bucket is empty I go to spiggot (or to bath tub for hot water) on the way to the chemicals in my truck and then back to whatever it is I am spraying. If it is a deck I climb the stairs. Everyones case is different of course but now that I think about it..most of my situations call for having the unit with me.

I often spray decks, interior carpet, interior concrete locations where leaving a front door open or bringing in a dolly would be way more intrusive and possably considered professionally hokie looking. Besides that... my 4x8 trailer rig already carries a mobile hot pressure washer, various sized autoscrubbers, and burnishers that take up all my space. All chems, spray equipment, and surface cleaner goes in truck bed. I'm maxed out and not carrying another thing less it is a large chem or supply tank..

p.s. A starting battery's cells get killed usually within a year or less if they are discharged and recharged often. They are meant to stay very close to full charge by way of a charge system.

Either hook them up to your washer's charge system immedietly after any small period of use to prevent killing them.. Or buy deep cells...

It ends up being to each their own but personally I wouldn't care for all the chemical that such a hose would be holding. It either has to get sprayed, left in hose, or be allowed to go back into bucket via gravity.

When my one bucket is empty I go to spiggot (or to bath tub for hot water) on the way to the chemicals in my truck and then back to whatever it is I am spraying. If it is a deck I climb the stairs. Everyones case is different of course but now that I think about it..most of my situations call for having the unit with me.

I often spray decks, interior carpet, interior concrete locations where leaving a front door open or bringing in a dolly would be way more intrusive and possably considered professionally hokie looking. Besides that... my 4x8 trailer rig already carries a mobile hot pressure washer, various sized autoscrubbers, and burnishers that take up all my space. All chems, spray equipment, and surface cleaner goes in truck bed. I'm maxed out and not carrying another thing less it is a large chem or supply tank..

p.s. A starting battery's cells get killed usually within a year or less if they are discharged and recharged often. They are meant to stay very close to full charge by way of a charge system.

Either hook them up to your washer's charge system immedietly after any small period of use to prevent killing them.. Or buy deep cells...

When I use a shurflo, it stays on the trailer. I have 200' of 3/8" polybraided hose that reaches anything I've needed to reach thus far. I have a battery mounted on the trailer that is wired into the trailer wiring harness so it stays charged off the truck's charging system. I have it set up so that the shurflo can draw either from my roof tank, water tank, or any other source with a drop tube. When I'm done spraying whatever it is I'm spraying, I just stick the end of the gun/wand/hose into the tank/bucket, turn on the fresh water source, and pump the chem back into wherever it came from. When the hose is flushed and I'm getting water only (about 1 minute or so) I just drop it on the ground and let it run for 5 or 10 minutes to flush the pump.

I tried the handcart thing when I was Xjetting, and just found it to be a PITA, not to mention taking up room in the trailer. When the shurflo isn't in use, it stays in a storage compartment under the rear seat of the truck. Only takes a minute to pull it out, hook up the appropriate connections, clip the gator clips to the battery, and start spraying.

I could understand a handcart setup if you were having to work a long ways from your rig, but other than that, having it mounted on the trailer is the easiest way to go.

I have a cord connected to my power washer battery with alligator clips that I clip on ever so often.

I took a short extention cord and cut it in half and took the end with the female prong and wired it to the battery and the male end I put the aligater clips on and now all I have to do is plug the cord in and put the clips on the battery and charge it.

I use a lawn mower battery.

Works fo me!!!

So two buckets..one to hold equipment, and one to hold mix. Or in Larry's case one tote thingy and one bucket of mix.

Thing about my 110v is that the location has to have outside power or I have my machine running in order to use it's generator power..aint good for most part except for one less heavy thing to carry around...... Battery version surely is the way to go if your willing to deal with it's weight!!

I don't use the heavy marine batteries so it's not that heavy! Here is my setup almost like my stain set up but without the filter on the pick up tube.

cleaningsetupjl4.jpg

Mike,

Would be interested in seeing the plumbing myself...

You ever put oil based stuff through it? probably be no fun to clean or try and save any. I am more of a make as I go fella cause of the variety of chems I use.

Nope, I use it strictly for roofs or degreaser or other cleaning chems. On the VERY rare wood job I do, I use a pump up sprayer. A bit of a pain, but simple and since I do maybe 1 or 2 wood jobs/year, it isn't worth it to spend any time/money setting up anything more complex.

I can understand the concern if you were using stains or other oil based stuff...I guess if I were to use it for that, I'd simply replace the fresh water flush with some sort of cleaning agent to help remove the oil from the pump/hose. Whether you're using 50' of hose or 200' of hose, you still have to flush it out when you're done. I guess you could also use a small compressor to blow the product back down the line to the source.

Next time I have the shurflo hooked up, I'll try to remember to take a picture. I don't use it often anymore, since I started with the roller pump last year.

Im not too worried about the battery lasting forever. 25 bucks isn't much to replace one.

Im not too worried about the battery lasting forever. 25 bucks isn't much to replace one.

It isn't really the $25 that is the issue...it is having to stop what you're doing 1/2 way through a job to go get a battery and installing it on the job.

It isn't really the $25 that is the issue...it is having to stop what you're doing 1/2 way through a job to go get a battery and installing it on the job.

A big 10-4 on that right there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow ya'll thanx for all the pics and info I will get a pic of mine set up this afternoon, As we all agree IT AINT' real perty''' but it works. I have a small storage bin made of plastic the tractor battery and 6' feed hose sits in it I bolted the pump to the side and put a strap on it .. Not pretty but it works

Mark