Sign in to follow this  
rj242

Shelf Life for 12.5% SH?

Question

Can anyone tell me the shelf life for 12.5% Sodium Hypochlorite. I am a parttime PW, and the smallest amount I can get is 35gal ($236.25). Also does this stuff come in a powder form?

13 answers to this question

Hello,

Please put a signature line so we know a bit about you. From what I have been told, after about 60 days it starts to lose its punch. I am not certain though. check local pool supply stores, they should supply it in 5 gallon pails.

My chem supplier tells me it looses about 1% per month and that they manufacture it about a pecentage point higher so that it is correct when it gets to market. Have seen some online info that sites just a tad bit different in the amount of punch it looses..

Think they imply it drops off regardless.

I wouldn't know about preventing it as I don't know anything about cyanuric acid....

Folks around here never stop saying things that inspire me onto higher learning. Trouble is I am addicted to tgs now...Daniel just couldn't leave things well enough alone.. haha

Can anyone tell me the shelf life for 12.5% Sodium Hypochlorite. I am a parttime PW, and the smallest amount I can get is 35gal ($236.25). Also does this stuff come in a powder form?

As far as I know sodium hypochlorite at any strength doesn't come in a powder form. Calcium hypochlorite is powder but not recommended for use with cleaning. Found out by trying it, really hard to dissolve. At $236.00 per 35 gal. seems high to me.I get 53 gal from Univar for around $200.00, and I'm pretty sure others here get it for a good bit cheaper even. Gotta do what you gotta do though. If your looking for small amounts go to Wal-Mart and buy a few cases of 6%, as you should never need it at 12.5% strength anyhow. (I've added a signature but it has yet to display)

Jeff

As far as I know sodium hypochlorite at any strength doesn't come in a powder form. Calcium hypochlorite is powder but not recommended for use with cleaning. Found out by trying it, really hard to dissolve. At $236.00 per 35 gal. seems high to me.I get 53 gal from Univar for around $200.00, and I'm pretty sure others here get it for a good bit cheaper even. Gotta do what you gotta do though. If your looking for small amounts go to Wal-Mart and buy a few cases of 6%, as you should never need it at 12.5% strength anyhow. (I've added a signature but it has yet to display)

Jeff

I'm with you Jeff, that is the first thing I noticed as well. I pay 1.80 per gallon for a 5 gallon bucket. Are they charging a deosit on the 35 gallon container?

That is a delivered to the door price. The company ordering it is in VA. I asked could it be shipped with other chemicals to their business so that I wouldn't have to pay frieght. Their reply was "NO".

Ok, I overlooked the delivery charge being included in your price. I thought that is what you were paying for the product alone. I wish I had the option of getting it shipped to my house. Univar here will not ship to a residence.

Jeff

I get my 12.5% in 15 gallons drums. The drums are black plastic. Back in 2005, I loaned a few gallons to a friend to wash his house. I just got the drum back a few weeks ago. I used it straight through my downstreamer, and it still worked. I think the combination of it being a black drum and it sitting in a shaded barn made a difference. The pack date on the label was 8/05.

As far as the cyanuric acid, it is used in pools to reduce the UV damage to the chlorine. I have some in the shed, but I had never thought to try to extend the life of 12.5%.