Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

C.A.T.O. rained on

Question

Well, it had to happen sometime. We finished an Ipe' deck (3rd time customer) and the work turned out just as expected. Used C.A.T.O. Mahogany Flame on the deck and Amberwood on the Teak furniture. We called the customer the next day to ask her to inspect the deck and let us know how it faired the rain. She called back to let us know that it was in pretty bad shape.

Upon our inspection, the teak furniture had no ill effects at all while the Ipe' decking had suffered severely in the fact that it now had craters of sealer from the rain that had been pouring off the bay window area and other places where the water pooled on the deck and spots developed.

I went back and stripped it but around the edges by the house, it had not come off completely and I thought I could get the rest by sanding and buffing. (sound of buzzer when wrong answer is given) I tried my best but it would not come out of the wood. So I had to come back and strip it again in the remaining areas where stain (and the crater effect) was still evident.

Going to seal it up friday when the rain clears and will post more then. Probably will have some extensive defurring to do.

Rod!~

11 answers to this question

Rod,

Were you using the "old" ATO that you had in stock or the new VOC compliant stuff?

Reason I ask is that the old ATO had that tung oil in it that made it very difficult to strip. Edges of my own ipe' deck are still discolored after a hard strip last spring, allowed to weather naturally for a year, and a hard percarb cleaning last weekend.

I will not stain real hardwoods until temps are above 50F and no rain is forecast for 2 days. Even with RS.

Ok, went back today in the 40mph winds and pad applied wtw wc tinted with about 20ml/gal of red pigment (thanks for the red pigment Rick :winkanim: ) The product actually turned out much better than the C.A.T.O. did and the customer even remarked on it being so much more even and a matte finish.

Pics to come...

Rod!~

You are more than welcome for the pigment, I have no use for it.

Does this allow at least one hug with that wood minx Beth?

WTW over Aussie oil? Hope you never have to strip it. Hope to see you both tomorrow in Baltimore.

Finished product looks great!

Ironically, C.A.T.O. is the rocket/pilot moniker for an utter disaster. Literally, it means:

Catastrophe

At

Take

Off

Sorry to hear it worked out that way...

I had a rain storm hit a seal job thurs. and I'm waiting on the homeowners decision to re seal after this nor-easter moves through. The picture you posted looks great. Is wtw available at sun brite? I have to try this product . Slow start for me due to weather but I'm booked into 3rd week of may.

Boy thats a nice looking color combo.....What kind/brand of tape do you use to mask with?.....Ever have problems with paint getting underneath the tape and on to the deck?.....The lines on your work are always so crisp...Impressive.....

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

Thank you :) We use the blue painters tape. I am not sure if he masked that job or not. It was extremely windy that day and nothing was sprayed. Keep a degreaser rag handy, and have not had problems.

Beth