Sign in to follow this  
MMI Enterprises

When do you run?

Question

16 answers to this question

NAhhh i wouldn't run....Now unless you were about to fall thru the floor? Did the floor bounce or feel like the fram was shot?

i would make them see there is no need for that big ole railing on such a small deck close to the ground!

Rip the rail down then nail a 2x6 facia around the deck and clean and stain! :cool:

P>S I will run well walk a away from a job that i know won't be worth the time or the $$... either it's a customer that i will get the feeling they will be dificult to please no matter what i do.....I will be fair on the price depending on the work that is needed to be done and i will not lower my quality of work to be able to give a cheaper price.I only know one way to work and it's all or nothing.I also will walk away from people that don't appreciate the work i do and can get a feel abou that pretty fast.

I would say that job would be cheaper to replace the decking it's so small

Hmmmmm $500 or $600 but i really can't say for sure without meeting the customer.I would for sure try to get the job also because it's redwood and i don't see it much.

I can send you stain that looks great on RW it's 1/2 brown/1/2 RW so it's not to bright red.The brown tones it down jsut right!

Kevin,

Attached is a picture of Ready Seal medium red on a 25 yr. old, old growth redwood deck. With parafinnic oils, you have to be careful with redwood. The penetrating quality of the oil can literally push the redwood tannins to the surface. If the wood is prepped correctly, it happens in a second. Can't miss it. Happened on this wood with a test spot. This is the Ready Seal "Redwood Only" formulation.

redwoodpost.jpg

Newer, young growth redwood harvested today does not seem to have the tannins, resins, whatever in quantity as old growth. Parafinnic oils such as Bakers Gray Away, TWP 100 series, or regular Ready Seal would all be fine stains for the wood.

Rick,

Your redwood pic looks a tad orange...that the tannins?..what did ya end up doing since you were already using the redwood formula?

Shane, anything is improvement on this fellas deck. Please PM me with any specifics of what ya got.

Really appreciate the insight guys..thanx!

Kevin,

No, I don't think so. The tannins in the wood, if present in quantity, will immediately come to the surface and look black.

Remember, this redwood was 25 years old. Think it may be more the condition of the vertical wood verses horizontal wood due to weathering than anything else. In this other photo, you can see the difference between the benches and floor.

fulldeck2005.jpg

Redwood, especially this old growth, is a treasure. Reminds me of real good cedar, but even better.

In this area it is very rare. 5 yrs. in the business and it is the only redwood deck I have seen, let alone worked on.

Redwood is my favorite I takecare of two. One old growth and one new. I can't seem to talk the area deck builders into using it. It doesn't degrade like other woods and holds a stain and color much beter than cedar.

Sir James says:

holds a stain and color much beter than cedar.

Hey Jim, cold and rainy enough for 'ya? Man, this April is brutal so far. Glad to hear, as this customer is due for a maintenance this August. It is a real nice wood, wish I had more of it to work on.

Probably be calling you soon. Have a 60K mahogany deck to look at late today and the lady is in a panic. Called yesterday and said there is white stuff all over the wood? Some painting co. apparently screwed it up last year.

Pine has sap come out it. Mahog has a white and yellowish substance come out of it. More of the deck builders fault. They can see it when building. I've never seen it to bad maybe one or two boards on a deck.

Jim,

I'll be looking at it today at 5:00 PM. If it looks weird or doesn't strip, I'll take a picture and email you.

You are keeping a running total on consulting fees I assume. Is my credit still good? Hah!

Hardly any knots on them good old growth decks...The ring growth density is way tighter and much stronger on old stuff I assume. Wood is just not what it used to be.

...Least that's how some show recently described the situation of the wood available to the building industry. They make wood faster these days and yet we pay more for it in both terms of quality and out of pocket..

Yeah, I actually prefer the crappy decks and a good customer over an easy deck and a customer that may be hard to please. Consider the variances and ability to work on crap. It is just that "CRAP" and can only get better leaving you much more room for "awe" factor. I've found from my nice life lessons that yes the money is nice, but I take personal satisfaction from each job I complete knowing it's something I would like to have on "MY personal residence". Taking an old deck that's just plain bad, salvage what wood you can.. "Thanks to a Behr silicone stain I got to go purchase a 13" planer"

and found by taking just 1/16 off you can take an old furry dino to a beaut if you take the time to. Personally after the deck I got burned on. I would LOVE to have the time to plane a lot of decks as the result and finish is SOOO beautiful.

I'm so addicted that I even plane 1/32 off of spindles leaving them looking like NEW! no fuzzies and have found it quicker than sanding each spindle with the added benefit of the possibility of missing a spot, and finish the prep by just brushing the wood with a 120 grit sandpaper on an orbital sander and BEAUTIFUL.

ANYHOW.. I don't turn any job down becuse of the severity of work, but I DO turn jobs down for a customer who dosen't want to pay for the work to be done.