Sign in to follow this  
mas3372

Wax additive for vinyl

How do you apply wax to vinyl  

66 members have voted

1. 1. How do you apply wax to vinyl

• Add wax with house wash and apply at same time with Cold Water.
    • Add wax with house wash and apply at same time with HOT Water.
    • Apply wax after house wash with COLD water.
    • Apply wax after house wash with HOT water.

Question

I have been searching like crazy for best methods to add wax. It seems diveres that some downstream with chems and some do a separate application. Some like hot water, some like cold.

If you offer wax, please select your application method and feel free to offer what waxes you use or have used and any preferences.

Thanks.

37 answers to this question

We use Steve Rowletts wet wax also. It's concentrated and a little goes a long way. We apply it with the wash and use hot water

Bob

Mike - Honestly, the difference is not tremendous to the naked eye, but I sell the benefits of the wax to the customer by making an analogy to waxing a car...it simply helps keep the vinyl cleaner for a longer period of time by protecting the surface. For the very low cost of adding it to my solution, I have gained many jobs (this coming directly from the customers) by having this added service. At least where I am, people are sick and tired of getting nickeled and dimed for every little service and will gladly pay a higher price for an "all inclusive" service. Regarding hot water, if I even use it on vinyl (rarely) it's NEVER over 120 degrees...my 2 cents. Hope that helps...

- John

That was my concern ken, the wax is at the least going to be weakened.

I saw on a search I did that Rod added the wax after the wash and the house almost dry again and he used hot water and said i made a difference.

Ken, hope you are feeling better.

Yes I did, but forgive me for not mentioning the temp of the water. We avoid going above 115* on vinyl due to the fact that it can cause it to warp and buckle.

Hot water helps the siding to dry faster. But as far as applying the wax once the wash is done is a matter of our regimen and not a requirement. We use a butyl based cleaner and it can nullify the wax if used in the same mix.

Rod!~

Thanks Rod for the insight on temp. I never have gone over 110f on vinyl, but that 110 is a huge difference over 50 degree tap water. How do feel about Sodium Hypochlorite and Sodium Metasilcate effecting the wax if added together?

Thanks for the input gary.

I think for sure that the wax in the mix must hamper the effect of the wax at least to some extent.

I am thinking about offering my customers two options.

1. Wax additive wash - can add some luster to home and can help keep the house cleaner longer.

2. Hot Wax Rinse post wash - adds a nice luster to home's vinyl, keeps the home cleaner for a considerable amount of time long.

I will have to experiment on my home to see the true differences I guess.

Any other thoughts or experiences.

Finally go to experiemnt today. Did my friends one story ranch. did one half the house with reg. mix with wax added. Did the other half with no wax added, let the house dry for the most part and downstreamed a wax mix with 110 degree water.

Hands down, warm water application after the fact is far superior. Looks 10x better.

Randy,

After the house is rinsed and almost dry, I mixed 10 oz of wet wax with 2 gallons of water and dowstreamed it on. I avoided the windows best I could, but rinsed them again. That was it. Let it dry and it looked great, went back yesterday and it still looked great. Home owner had no problems with windows either.

i've been using the plexmaster from envirospec. it's actually called a sealant and a mildew retardant. i use it to distinquish myself from the "other guys" in my area and it has turned out to be a great selling feature. i include it in my normal housewash instead of letting it be an "add on" feature. i buy it and make 55 gallons of concentrate. i like to get it on the windows and watch the water bead up as that lets the customer know that they are not being taken advantage of.

rando

Has anyone used any of the ESpec chems that have the Glass Enhancers or "Superflow Polymers" inthem? I was curious how this performed in comparison to a wax rinse after the fact.