Sign in to follow this  
allstar

Pricing for decks

Question

Hi everyone, I am new to the site and I have been doing power washing for about a year. I'm still not sure how to price a deck. Like a 10 by 20 I would charge at least $200 - $225 unless it was difficult to get to. My main line of work is window cleaning. But I'm noticing power washing is profitable. Can anyone help. Thanks

7 answers to this question

are you cleaning it? stripping and finishing it? what type of finish are you using? these are things to consider when pricing. i think that most people get between 1 to 2 dollars per square foot finished depending on how complex the deck is (rails and so forth). i've only done a couple and i underpriced both.

good luck,

rando

Hi Allstar,

Welcome to TGS! Please go into your User CP and add a signature. :)

Pricing decks correctly is important. Measure everything and get your square footage. Some folks eyeball it, but you are new, and need to get a feel for size and costs. (we always measure regardless)

Measure your floor, your rails, your stairs, don't forget the lattice (if any) and your supports. Come up with a cost to wash and a cost to seal. I have heard of prices as low as 1.40 per sq ft and as high over 2.50 per sq ft depending on what you are doing, and the factors such as access, terrain, are you washing or stripping, applying a new product or maintaining an existing one...you will have time involved in protecting the area, with tarps and plastic, as well as preping the deck with sanding rail caps and hitting nail pops. If you strip and there is residual stain left, you may also need to sand a bit. Do a test spot in an area where the coating is most intact if it's going to be a strip job.

Hope this helps.

Beth :cup:

A 10x20 deck is going to be approximately 425-475 s/f of wood counting rails, a couple of step and fascia. Charging (cheaply) at $.75/s.f. to strip/clean/pH balance, $.55 to seal and $.30 in materials still brings you to approximately $720.

If you are in Glen Mils, PA you can easily get that rate. I get a little more. But, if you want to charge the rates you listed, I have plenty of work I can sub to you.

Thanks guys for the imput. I really just want to clean decks and stay away from the staining. To much of a hassel. What should I charge per square for just cleaning? Is composite deck a differant price then regular wood deck?