Sign in to follow this  
Don M.

Backing up Jarrod's Deck Methods

Question

The other day I was by myself and tired and didnt want to pull out my shurflo. I had a 500 sq ft deck to strip and decided to try out what Jarrod talks about.

I've got a container on my trailer of Steve R.'s RX 4. I used that on most of the deck, but Jarrod gave me a gallon of a stripper that he uses and I tested it out.

I had the entire deck coated less than 5 minutes. As it was dwelling I washed the backside of the house. I went back and washed the deck and the stuff melted right off where I used Jarrod's stripper, and the rest was the same with the RX4.

I then mixed up some of Bob's brightener on the heavy side and DSed it as well. Then I rinsed plants, the glass doors, etc and got out of there.

My staining crew went to the deck yesterday and they called me to tell me it looked like new wood. :)

I called Jarrod to thank him.

14 answers to this question

Last year I switched to downstreaming on stripper as well. I want to try Jarrod's formula but for some reason this company cannot get it together to get me a sample. Don, did you notice a significant differnce in effectiveness between Steve's and Jarrod's formula?

You guys are gonna make it really hard for me to use my shurflo rig, that's for sure. As far as the sample goes Ken...with two ringing endorsements now, how about you just pry that wallet open and order some??:lgbounces

No, there was really no difference Ken.

I know from Chem Station it would cost less I am sure, but Steve quoted me I think around 550.00 for a drum delivered to my storage unit.

Breaking it down, on this deck (556 sq ft total) I used a tad over a gallon of stripper. So 12.00/556=.021 per sq ft.

Try it Ken. If you cant get it through Jarrods guy order a 5 gallon Jug of RM 4 from Rowlett.

Don, I use HD-80 beefed with ________ and ________ glycol. It costs me $65 for 30 gallons and does 8-10 decks so the economy is there. It does the trick but to hear J-Rod talk about the chem station stuff I wanted to give it a try. I honestly prefer storing powders but I am open minded to anything that will increase efficiency.

You midwest guys got it made. I'm only gonna give you $750K and you have to cover shipping.

Deal! But you owe me one.....lol

The only sample I could get was a 5gallon jug and I had to pay the 55gallon drum price for it. I guess they don't believe in freebies to gain new customers. Oh well, if it works like JRod says it does then I figure it's worth it eeehh?

monoethanolamine, potassium hydroxide, 2-butoxyethoxy ethanol add up to which, if any, of these products? That be what is in my $6 per gal. floor stripper for waterbased acrylic...Wonder how close it is to the wood care products..It don't strip many paints I run across on floors though so I guess I gotta throw in straight hydroxide or that methylene ________ stuff in the Jasco type products for these decks or what?

Be a sport Ken and tell us all yer secrets :)

I used HD-80 for the first time this week, and it destroyed CWF! You'd have to be stripping some pretty tough stuff to need to beef it up. Luckily, I don't see many acrylics around here.

Ken, one rail butyl..other PG?

... also, what's in the HD80 besides hydroxide?

psst, pm system workin?

Ding Ding!

The HD-80 has much less hydroxide than one would think. Its still a hot product but a good stripper is more about the buffers and surfactant package than the caustics.

A certain shiny, happy company that is infamous for cloning makes a product they tout as a good stripper. I tried it and it sucks. Guess there is more to making a clone than reading an MSDS sheet.

:zipit: