Sign in to follow this  
Jon

Those that live where it snows and freezes

Question

As dumb as this might sound to you it is very important that I know the answers.

I know about concrete and have never heard it can come apart due to freezing.

I say it is poor quality/cheap concrete that was not cured correctly to start with.

Ok here is the question, can concrete in areas that get snow, it melts during the day, freezes at night for several weeks cause the concrete to disolve?

I could post a few pictures if anyone wants to see what I am talking about.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Jon

5 answers to this question

HI Jon,

I would have that concrete pressure tested. It sounds like the people that poured the concrete tried to do it fast, so they added water to the truck before they poured. This does change the strength of the concrete and reduces the PSI rating. They also could have actually reduced the amount of Portland in the cement, saving money and all, and that will screw it up to. '

Remember when you were still pressure washing? When you would hit a piece of gum sometimes and a piece of concrete would evaporate faster than a chunk of gum? That is what is happening in those situations. That is why some concrete is so easily scarred and others don't even get fazed.

No salt, a few did and you can tell, it cumbles into tiny pieces.

Scott yes I recall well all that pressure and hot water to remove gum with no damage to the concrete.

We have been told that the builder will fix it, then they said they will coat it, then some other thing now they say it is an "Act of God" and not covered under warranty and will do nothing.

Not even sending letters to people explaining why so before we move forward wanted to be sure what I suspect about it being poor quality/cheap/weakened is right.

As for asking them to test it they said they won't do it but if we wanted to pay to have it done fine but that the concrete is up to building code for Albuquerque and NM. I highly doubt that seeing what I see and with 65 pictures to back my words up with. Only problem with my pictures is I forgot to set the date on the camera. LOL

So take some more pictures with the current date... Or just not worry about that. Damage is damage. I think that you should see what the building codes are in Albuquirky, and make sure that you know what the PSI rating is supposed to be on the concrete. Then, I would go ahead and pay to have it cored and sampled. If it is within spec, you do not have a leg to stand on, but if it is, then you can force them to do whatever repair is necessary to any slab that you may have. You also might have a contractors licensing authority that might be able to help you as well. It is either a registrar or somethign similar that you can protest to and get results.

Hello Jon,

I am not an expert, but I do know a little 'bout it...

A building inspector here in CA once told me 50deg and rising is required for a res foundation.

As the concrete "cures", a crystalline structure is formed within the cement that gives concrete it's adhesion and strength.

If the water in the mix is frozen during the formation of this crystalline structure, it does not/can not occur.

What you would end up with is pretty much tightly packed sand and gravel in the forms.

Although concrete is serviceable relatively quickly for limited use, it actually may take years for it to achieve it's full strength, at which point, it begins to degrade!

I once saw a res foundation for a very large home, where the batch plant goofed up and the underpinnings could be dug away with a table spoon!

You could probably find textbook answers at the concrete institute, or whatever they call it, online.

Or you could go to ContractorTalk.com and run a post in the appropriate forum to get confirmation on my views...

Either way, somebody is gonna need a jackhammer!

r