Sign in to follow this  
Rick G

New Dodge Ram Owners

Question

Just a heads up. Last night at 9:00pm my truck was stolen in front of my house. I heard it crank up but by the time I hit the door he had a jump on me. I almost caught up to the tailgate before I remembered my 2-month-old and my three-year-old were at home. So I called the police, they came, took report and left. This morning I got a call from an apartment manager that had found my truck with my stuff scattered all over the place. (He found my card) The truck is not ok because they took bleach I had in the back and pored it all over the dash, seats and floors and there is a huge dent in the bumper. The truck will not start. As far as my equipment goes I lost my 20 in surface cleaner, new shop vac, tools, a bin full of all my spare parts and small cleaners (I was getting ready to clean a C-store that night, I don’t leave stuff in the back overnight) TO GET TO THE POINT...The police showed up this morning to take finger prints, there were none b/c of the bleach, and they said that there are an average of 10 cars a night stolen in West Palm Beach and out of those 10....6 are New Dodge Rams. Over half of all stolen cars here in WPB are new dodge rams. The officer said they are by far the easiest trucks to break into. Its the way the door handles on the new trucks are designed. They take a flat head, push it up under the handle and the door pops open. I have and alarm but I guess the kill switch didn’t work? Ill be looking into that. The alarm went off for just a second before he started it. Sorry for the long post and thanks for letting me rant.

If you have a new dodge get the club or something even if you have an alarm! These low lifes talk! Rick G

13 answers to this question

Rick - Sorry to hear about your truck. I have a 2002 Dodge Ram and have hears the same thing about them being easy to steal. I would not get "The Club" if I were you. I saw a show on stealing cars and a guy showed how to get "The Club" off in 10 seconds. There is a better device that goes around the gas pedal. I can't remember what it's called but the only way they can get it off is to cut the pedal. If you cut the pedal off you can't drive the truck. Have you gotten an estimate on the damage yet?

Sorry to hear about your lost, most alarm companies have some sort of insurance if it had a kill switch and it failed they pay X amount towards repair or replacement.

If I were you I would insist the insurance company replace the truck rather then repair.

Now as for alarms, an old and true proven way is one of those devices that you put between starter/battery and start switch, no matter what he does it will not start since you remove the part that makes the connection complete.

That and another device I had back in the 60s, it also cuts off fuel, goes between fuel lines, lock and remove, no fuel can pass though.

Jon

What I have done in the past is to remove a critical fuse. There is often an access panel near the door hinge area, or below the steering column. Just pop out a fuse for the fuel pump, or starter, or whatever you see that will prevent the truck from running, and put the fuse in your pocket.

Of course, most don't expect their truck to be stolen right out of their driveway, but that's often the most likely place for it to happen!

Thieves suck!

Thanks all. Thats a great idea Tony. Im going to try and be back on my feet asap. I can tow my rig with a UHaul rental so I think Ill be ok. Also I have an old 16in SC that I can use for now. This just hit me right after I went Santa shopping. Oh well I will not let these low lifes get me down this time of year. Thanks to all. Rick G

Tony comes up with a darn good alarm system and it cost nothing while a lot of us spend $300 to $500 for one.

Super good idea Tony, just take a 50 cent fuse out.

Sorry to hear about the truck. I had a Monte Carlo SS stolen from my drive back in 87. The collie we had didnt even hear anything and it was stolen around 6pm....still daylight.

I just recently changed insurance....Bob Williamson from Pressure Tech gave me the name of the Insurance co...Western Reserve. They were not only cheaper with the truck and business insurance but they gave me an inland marine policy to cover equipment. The price on the entire policy was half of what I was paying Grange. Loosing my truck, also a dodge but it has a 12 foot box , would be a pain. But at least I would get money to replace equipment to make it easier.

Just a reminder too.....if you recently bought any equipment with a credit card they usually will replace it if stolen.

Andy

Just bought one of the '03 Rams (Hemi). Even if it was stolen, I don't think they would make it very far as the gas mileage STINKS!!!! I'm in the process of looking for a couple of those "boots" the cities use now for illegally parked vehicles to put on my truck and trailer. Then the only person I will have to worry about stealing my truck is my WIFE (just married...thank you...thank you). She likes it much more than her '03 Durango (especially since the redesigned '04s came out and made her feel old school on the road :) )

Thanks for the heads up!

Ryan H.

What we have a NEWLY WED among us here?

And already he spoils his wife with a NEW VEHICLE.

Congrads.

About milage with the dodge, my Dodge Cummins got on average 17 mpg to 21 mpg, the new Ford Power Stroke sucks at best 13.5 mpg.

Want a Cummins diesel put into this Ford truck.

Better yet a Volvo diesel.

Jon

Yep. Just got married three weeks ago. There were financial reasons and benefits for getting the vehicles; we are NOT in such positions of wealth that we can just buy them for fun (although she would like to have new every year!!!).

Maybe I should have jumped on the Cummins. My engine is getting a lousy 11.2 mpg when I pull my trailer, about 11.8 with no trailer. Wife's car gets 16 - 17 mpg, and can pull just 500 lbs less than my truck!!! I use my old 30mpg Honda for my non work-related driving. As for looks, I really like the new F-250s. But, they say image is everything, and so far my customers have been outwardly impressed with my truck. Now, if I could just get a decent looking trailer...........

Ryan H.

Ryan your saying it was a gas engine?

Is the insurance totaling the vehicle or repairing it? Talk with the dealer about a super trade off with the insurance money towards that diesel.

I always buy diesel, the cost is more but in the long run it pays off not in lower fuel cost as that is not the case here, cost the same or more then regular fuel but in weight towed, performance and all around maintance.

Jon

Did anyone hear about the problems with the ball joints on 20/20.

iT LOOKS LIKE dODGE HAS MORE PROBLEMS THAN EASY TO BREAK INTO.

mATT

Sorry about the caps I hit by accident, Plus I am sorry about your lose, Right off my truck and in my drive way with full light they stole my ladder, I would like to know how many people took it since it was fiberglass and 35 ft, you know those lazy thieves took at least two people to cart it off.

I have a 97 Dodge 3500 with a 12 foot box.....bought it new in 97....no problems yet with the ball joints....did blow a valve spring and tore up the engine at 30000 but warranty replaced it. Never use the overdrive because I have a 500 gallon tank in it and it gets 13 mpg on the highway 12 city........what i dont like is that it nees a tune up every 25 thousand. Dodge said that is normal.

My wife has a new explorer for financial reasons too.....so she doesnt get any ideas about leaving with half....lol

Andy