Sign in to follow this  
Chris S

Building a belt drive machine

I looked into this a few years back, but I think I decided it would be a PITA with questionable results, but I don't remember.

How would I figure the distance from the pump shaft to the engine shaft? Would any distance work as long as the belt had proper tension?

I am assuming that the alignment/height of the 2 pulleys would have to be extremely precise? I think this was the road block that discouraged me from attempting this.

Someone please talk me into trying this. I've got a 15 HP Kohler that is just screaming 8GPM, 8GPM! I figure should be able to get about 1800 PSI out of this set up.

Russ,

Do you carry the ready made belt drive bases? I had thought about going gear drive, but the 15HP has a 1" shaft, and if I upgraded the engine at some point to a 18HP, wouldn't I have t get a new 1 1/8" gear box also?

Do you carry the ready made belt drive bases?

Yes, do you want wheels or skid mount?

Belt alignment and size is very important. Please feel free to call me with the pump model you plan to use, size of any pulleys you may have, and desired operating specs, and we'll get it figured out.

wouldn't I have t get a new 1 1/8" gear box also?

Not necessarily...Honda and Vanguard 18's are available with 1" shafts.

Sorry it is not letting me post the link?

Go to Generalpump.com and click on the product literature tab then the resource information then the pulley selection guide and there is a pdf file that will assist you with all the information you need.

How would I figure the distance from the pump shaft to the engine shaft? Would any distance work as long as the belt had proper tension?

I am assuming that the alignment/height of the 2 pulleys would have to be extremely precise? I think this was the road block that discouraged me from attempting this.

Is not really all that difficult just takes some time and pre-thought. The belt length is unimportant other then picking one that fits. Pulley sizes determine the speed of pump rotation and even that has some leeway by adjusting the motors rpm. Gotta have a premade base that includes tensioner then you just mock it up before drilling. If you got a generator off the other side a DIY generator tensioner can be fashioned if you have welder, some nuts and bolts, and ability to drill the slotted holes to allow the tension adjustments. My machine has 3 belts and I reworked it from its original stationary pallet sized Brigs setup into a portable half pallet sized Honda setup. Bolt holes for engines were all different so it required a mock up.

It maybe handy but it aint pretty (yet) so I never been around to take pics after rebuild... I have it crammed in front of trailer with a couple floor machines I run out the back..Is like an ugly kid that gets chained up in a closet...lol..

I take it out to service it or to save weight when doing long distance interior floor jobs or going up the Sierra Mountains.