Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

really bad dock

Question

this dock was trashed. Latex solid over acrylic. wood in seriously bad condition wher sealer already worn off. boards warped, splintered, cracked, checked, you name it.

stripped with boosted hd80. although still only got off half the latex and almost none of the acrylic.

primed with cabots problem solver and sealed with acrylic solid. all good for a couple days work.

post-4622-137772177977_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772177982_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772177986_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

I had priced this for solid stain, with the cabots problem solver, but after the customer called me and said "seems fair, when can you do it? i looked at my notes and had charged less than half what I had put into my notes! Bummer!

By the way, the Osborne brush and the makita 9227 works wonders! 2 hours max on sanding and defurring this. 8 hrs to strip, 6 hours to prime and stain with an airless. then back the next morning to pick up the oil sorbent booms.

there was also a fence to the left that was bare to start.

post-4622-137772177991_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772177995_thumb.jpg

post-4622-1377721780_thumb.jpg

I could probably have done some sanding and gotten away with it, but I really couldnt tell what was under the latex. I think it was a quick homeowner job to sell the house. the wood was in really bad shape. I even told the HO that hed be better off tearing down the part on the left of the rail, but he did a good job screwing down the warped boards.