Sign in to follow this  
Mike W

my new freedom

Question

Hi all,

I just turned in my notice to quit my full time job and venture into full time pressure washing! I'm excited and terrified at the same time. It's good to know that I have full backing of my wife and friends. To those of you who are full time, what made you decide to take the plunge?

11 answers to this question

I worked with CADD all day designing animal research facilities..I sat in a cubicle all day...I was not a free man.......Corporate life is bizzaro.....Cleaning decks in someones beautiful backyard seemed like a good trade-off........So far so good

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

I was sick of making someone else rich and with the amount of layoffs going on at the time, it seemed no job was safe and still isn't. Then I got laid off so I said see ya!! I remember posting about it cause I was a little freaked out, I knew I wanted to PW full time but it was a little sooner than I expected. Everyone was so supportive that it made me tear up reading their replies.....no joking. I feel very blessed now going into my second full time season.

I was there once Mike, a lot of us were. Do what you know is right, set goals, be persistent and patient in acheiving those goals, believe in yourself and you will be successful.

Congrats Michael, with that kind of support you'll go far. I was a Maint. Inspector for a airline out of MSP and after 911 thay shut the doors in Dec. After 20yrs in avation I was ready to do something esle. Good luck

I failed a drug test and they fired me!!!!!

just kidding, missing my daughter walking and talking was the last straw for me, I couldn't take it not being able to take off of work when important things happend. My family means more to me that money or work, I'm thankful that I can make good money still and see them pretty much all day, or at least when I want to :D

Best of luck to you.

I'm still trying to get there but my "Other Job" keeps throwing me bones to stay. My retirement papers are in and I'm supposed to go September 29th but there giving me a ton of Overtime to...hang out on the Grime Scene:) I may stay thru the winter and until next June due to many perks in my contract that I can hit at those points. Basically in a nutshell I'm going to leave one of the best civil service jobs in the country where I never work with bosses and I can do my own thing and get paid real well in doing it.....But as most are here I know I can do much better being in this business fulltime...all the time...As for today I have two full timers and I may be hiring another one next week but I'm getting killed with the no sleep and...as my Doctor has told me last month "Do you think you'll make it another year"..which means...I am going to take the plunge..within a year and man is it frustrating to go another year like this...but this is it. I just got to stay healthy and sleep where and when I can..then its full time all the time like alot here.

Yaz,

Right on post!

I spend my time at some of the nicest properties around, anywhere.

And sometimes, more than the owners !

Don't mind saying I enjoy my time there, am ALWAYS respectful of the owners, and NOT reluctant when I dock my time spent when I just sit down in a deck chair and enjoy a multi-million $ scenario.

Never spent time in a cubby, but was in hi-pressure sales... not good.

Even w ups and downs, my own biz is the way to go.

r

Thanks everyone. For the past two years my wife has been saying to quit my job. There is too much unethical activity in big business. For a long time I feel that I may have compromised some of my values. Not any more. I am excited to build a company that people will want to work for and with.