Sign in to follow this  
MMI Enterprises

DIY shurflow chemical induction

Question

Ok..just go ahead and throw out all the portable shurflow contraptions...j/k :)

Keep your shurflows attached to a lid with suction tube going down with a filter/check valve on end. Make the line going into chemical a good few feet longer than normal and rely on the weight of the filter to keep it submerged or even add a weight (you'll see why in a moment). Run about a 10 to 15' of clear hose for the outlet side of pump. Attach a barbed 3/8 male quick connect that can be hooked to whatever kind of wand you want to spray (caustic,bleach, acid, stain,etc.).. Cut a fiver in half and use it to cover the shurflow and wiring if you like.(If done correct the cut piece goes right into the main lids slotted lip and a single wing nutted bolt straight down through both holds it together).. This part is for portable close in/low volume work and is attached to a regular five gal. bucket only when you really need it or for stain or whatever you choose really.. Use a small tip angle size (my normal high pressure tip works fine 15055..up to about a 30) to achieve spray of cleaning type chems. Larger sizes will just flow the water out tip and not achieve a controllable spray pattern for this use...Seymore uses another size for stain (Unijet 500033 tip) that still works due to the smaller 3.3 orifice size...

Now onto the main course! :)

Have an anti-backflow type device installed at machines main High pressure outlet before the downstream position and then install high draw rate type dowstreamer (maybe like a Super Sucker) as normal. Now convert the chemical hose barb that hangs down into a 3/8 female quick connect via hosing, plumbing, or what have you. Take your shurflow lid off your portable fiver and lay it over your open chemical tank with chemical line stuck down in whatever chemical ya shooting. I am currently using a 27 gal. Tuff Box bought for $25 at Kmart. It has yellow lid with a depression perfect for the fiver lid to sit on. Is cheap but I can't do a real fixed tank cause I carry portable autoscrubbing equipment in trailer. ..So anyways, Crank open the downstreamer , hook your 3/8 male outlet from shurflow into the female chemical quick connect of the downstreamer, turn on shurflow but leave main machine off. You are now portable/low volume/straight chemical via your main high pressure hose and wand. Use same tips as before. Turn on your machine and you got chemical induction at far better rate then the downstreamer could suck on it's own. The only limit of draw rate is the sizing of shurflow gpm, the venturi sizing/ chemical barb inlet sizing, and how much water your machines rpm is pumping. Turn your machine's rpm way way down if you like to increase chemical ratios more as the shurflow just keeps on pumpin it's gpm rate into your line depending on normal downstreamer operation. You still got to use low pressure for downstreamer to allow chemical through by changing tips as usual or turning the adjuster on your dual lance. A pocket full of tips and your set for just about any job....walla!! throw out the long chem lines, throw the empty fiver in the back of the truck and let it wait for its fill of stain or whatever your too scared to put through your main line.

This may not fully work for the shurflows with the pressure sensing switch built in. (let us know)

I'll probably double wire my shurflow to work manually when machine is off and then automatically on off when I want it to via trigger pull when machine is on. One direct circuit to power source with an on/off switch inline will handle manual and another circuit with an on/off switch into my pressure switch (?) may handle the automatic. Don't want to burn it up by having it running all the time so something has to be worked out other than walking back to rig after spraying..Although that is not nearly as intrusive as all the lugging around of the portable fiver setup.

I worked on and tested this all out with my 5gpm machine all day Sat. but of course can't say it will work for you..

Basically it is about same as what the Allison Iron Horse chemical injection system does but with your existing equipment....sorry guys.. :)

10 answers to this question

I try to be informative of what is going on or what can be done... For instance... In the following pics of my injection setup you'll note that I run female out of my machine to a male of the injector that way if injector gets clogged and I'm in a hurry I can remove in a jiff and still go straight to my high pressure hose. If case be that your downstreamer don't allow chems in from shurflow while running straight chemicals with machine off or the flow is simply too low then a female to female quik connect can be used to bipass the chem inlet restriction point of the downstreamer also. (male quik of clear bucket sprayer hose>f/f>high pressure hose reel)

I run 110 pump. Note that my on/off switch has a built in light telling me visually while my machine is running that I do indeed have power to the shurflow. Ground fault should be installed to be safe. If you run 12volt I suggest using the Beldin type quik connects(Napa carries). The cut bucket used for a cover of the lid sprayer is 7.75" and done with jigsaw and the power cord has it's own rubber bulkhead screwed down to the lid to where it can't pull out and mess up the wiring. Tieing a knot in cord will serve same purpose.

Another thing of note about this setup is that I use rope tied around top cover and to the rope fashioned handle to do 3 things at once. It keeps the cover for the lid on without a bolt, it keeps the rope handle in place for when top heavyness comes to play.(after chem is sprayed the setup is top heavy), and then the 3rd thing it does is it keeps the lid/pump part portable to where I can throw just the lid sprayer part on top my main chem tank......sorry for the long windedness Ken :)

post-2209-137772178119_thumb.jpg

post-2209-137772178126_thumb.jpg

I imagine the Iron Horse can be used for many chems same as the flojet/shurflows... The various flojet/shurflow type pumps that can handle all sorts of chemicals will never go obsolete. They are the bread and butter of the specialized aspects of this and many other industry. Maybe you miss the point or concept of DIY with what you already have....

What I actually have under the cover of my setup is a 2000 series flojet harvested out of a commercial carpet cleaning machine and I got another wanting to go in there next to it as backup or for more flow. Anyone having info on how well that works.. please speak up..