Sign in to follow this  
nitrox2595

Problems with cabots??

Question

Is anyone having problems with cabot's clear solutions this year? I have had about 10 customers from last season complain(rightfully so) about the way that their decks look. The decks look like they have not been done in 2 years, (chipping,peeling,black mold, etc) Need some input before I go bonkers:lgtear:

8 answers to this question

All Cabot's oil/alkyds in our area (Northeast) have been reformulated to meet VOC compliance and they are LOUSY. Color shift, mold growth, spontaneous combusion rates that make rags start smoldering while you hold them on a hot day, etc etc.

Strip it off and start again.. Stay away from the stuff on store shelves.

I liken the problem to the emissions crunch of the later seventies and eighties. You had to have 400+ cubic inches to get over 150 horsepower back in those awful days. Now you get sixes that approach 300 horsepower.

To answer your question directly, Dan.. No I don't think they will. There is much less "technology" to play with in a stain/sealer. Formulas like Wood Tux (VOC compliant, the right resins, pigmentation and carriers) are very expensive to manufacture. A company like Cabot's would have to charge $90 per gallon to make something like that. I think we'll see one of two things happen. More companies will produce pigmented baby oil. Or Most companies will folow the lead of Deckscapes and only offer water borne stuff.

We have lots of problems with Cabots in the northwest. I'm looking at a log home that's just totally failing and the black mold covers whole logs. Any ideas how to get all the black out?

call the awesome customer service at cabots, who will tell you that you put it one wrong, or did not use their cleaners, The whole situation really sucks, and I probably won't do decks next year

Ken,

Ha! I liked that analogy!

I remember muscle cars from late 60's and early 70's that would jump up and go sideways... and less than 10yrs later, v8's that would not get out of their own way.

There is just nothing that compares with a 427 Cobra.

... Well, it will be good without all those VOC's around...

At the least, more maintenance work!

r

Woodies, enjoy these last few goiden oil years while you can. The environmentalist wackos will be shoving water based exterior wood stains down everyones throats in the next decade.

The only claim to fame is that you were a dying craftsman in a idiotic time.

Looked at the log house and you could tell it was actually the cabots molding black. It was moldy on the deck where it dripped and the rest of the deck was fine. Hd - 80 full strength stripped it easy. I told them to get rid of the cabots. A painter friend sold me an cabots a few years ago so I used it on all my own decks. Stripped it off soon after. No good in wet climates. In fact he was at the coast this week fixing cedar shingles. The home owner had them dipped in cabots b/4 installed , 6 months ago. Failed already , imagaine that!