Sign in to follow this  
mas3372

My Honda Wont Start - Need Help Fast

Hello,

My first big equipment issue. My pw is powered by a 25 HP honda V twin engine. It has 220 hours on it. Just got new fuel filter, oil fitler, air filter and plugs at 185 hours with oil change. Did 4 housed yesterday with no problems. Ran out of fuel once, filled it up and was good to go.

Went to do a house today and it would not start. It will run on starter fluid, but as soon as I stop spraying it, it dies down. I replaced the fuel filter, blew out all the fuel lines and still nothing. I took the line from the fuel pump off the carb. intake and turned the key, it shot gas so I know the pump is good.

All I can think is that something is clogging the carb.

Any thoughts, I need help fast. I have a ton booked at the end of the week.

If it runs off of starting fluid than you know it is a fuel problem. First I would make sure that there is fuel in the bowl of the carb if yes, next I would take the carb off of the engine take it apart and inspect the needle and seat. it doesnt take much to cause a problem here. Keep us posted!

Kyle,

Thanks for the help. I am certain at this point it is a fuel problem. It drives me crazy, it ran perfect all day yesterday. Started it and shut it down about 8 times. Never any problems, and this morning, no luck.

I want to take the carb off and look, but I am afraid to cause damage or mess something up. I am going to find who can service it the soonest tomorrow. But who knows, maybe I will tinker with it tonight.

Mike,

Don't know abnout Honda engines, but Vangaurds there is anti-backfire option. Its a solenoid mounted in engine frame that controls fuel to the carb. If the solenoid is not workiing you will get what you have. Solenoid is controlled by the key switch

Doug,

If I do have this anti backfire option, how could I tell. Would resetting it be done by simply turning the key back or is there more to it.

My advice is to take it to a shop tommorrow morning and be waiting for them to open the doors. You are going to spend more time messing with it and coming back and forth here then you will to just take it to guys who make their living fixing small engines. Even if it cost you $300 to fix a relatively simple problem, you come out ahead.

The place I bought it from is on there way today to fix it. They are an hour away but do on site repair for the their hourly wage. Well worth it to me. I don't have to dump 50bucks in gas and 2 hours of my time to drop it off and pick it up. I will let you know what it is when they fix her.

Ding Ding Ding.

Russ is the winner. You hit it right on the head. The guy came out today and that was it. fixed it in about 10 minutes. The plug as come off a few times and I never thought to check it since the engine was turning and it would run on starter fluid. Never realized that the switch had that much to it.

Machine is purring like a puppy again.