Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Ipe' stain colors

Question

Have a potential customer with a large, very well built ipe' deck completed last October. Wanted some various stains and color combinations on a few pieces of his scrap.

Disregard color differences between the 2 ipe' boards, top one is much lighter in natural color. Ipe' "stripped" with 4 oz./gal. ACR 760 NaOH, citric acid at 6 oz./gal. and not rinsed, and lightly sanded at 60 grit with a random orbital. Single application of all stains with a natural bristle brush. Photo taken ~18 hours after stain application.

top to bottom, left to right

Top board

50/50 RS dark brown/RS dark red mix - "Diamond Jim Foley's" custom mix. Please do not ask.

Bottom board

RS medium red - RS light brown - straight WTW "warm honey gold"

ipetestno1.jpg

15 answers to this question

Kevin,

Note that the pics are only 18 hrs. after stain application. Give these ipe' boards a few weeks outside in the sun and the "true" colors will be evident.

Ipe' is rock hard, and takes little oil compared to redwood. One thing in common is they both have literal tons of natural resins or tannins(?) or extractives in the wood. Never did figure out those things, slept through college chemistry.

Kevin,

His 2nd deck contractor, built this one, not me. Installed ipe' 4 yrs ago on my own deck and knew beforehand to use carbide chop saw blades, drill bits, etc. This wood is one tough customer.

Hi Rick,

I will have to comment at my demise.

Let me say that hardwoods are my specialty. Define that – 250K square feet this year. Almost 1 million square feet in maintenance. Don’t believe me, come hang out for a week.

To try and define color samples for a home owner is almost useless. The reason is because of the color variance in the hardwood. I show customers the example of the “red” vs the “light color.” Most of the time I explain, “ This is the color.”

Even if you tell the customer the color, the finial outcome will not look the same. I could on & on.

Attached is a pic from a deck from 2 weeks ago. 2500 square feet all done in 1 day. Ipe floor & Cedar handrail.

If RS works for your application, great. I will advise you to look at other products. I am willing to send you sample hardwood boards to play with if you pay for freight.

post-514-137772178743_thumb.jpg

Paul,

Let me say that hardwoods are my specialty. Define that – 250K square feet this year. Almost 1 million square feet in maintenance. Don’t believe me, come hang out for a week.

To try and define color samples for a home owner is almost useless. The reason is because of the color variance in the hardwood. I show customers the example of the “red” vs the “light color.” Most of the time I explain, “ This is the color.”

Even if you tell the customer the color, the finial outcome will not look the same. I could on & on.

I agree. First, I have no question about your work. You and a few others down South do some exceptional work on hardwoods. The real question is longetivity, maintenance, and what is best for the wood.

Since ATO has fallen due to the VOC regs here in the Northeast, stains on woods such as ipe' are an opened ended question mark. I recently purchased a 5'er from ESI to play with. I will say that the consistancy and makeup of the stain is vastly improved over my last purchase nearly two years ago. That 5'er was awful. The WTW stain I received this week is powers of 10 better than my first purchase.

No question that good hardwoods such as ipe' have individual board coloring and characteristics. Its the nature of the wood. Note the disclaimer in my first post.

But honestly, you, myself, or a dozen other woodies could apply some HD bought Behr's on the wood, snap a photo, and the job would look great.

The real test is the test of time, maintenance costs to customers, and if we can get a friggin' year out of our stains on wood such as ipe'. I'd go back to the old ATO in a heartbeat (aside from that lousy tung oil), but that is ancient history. The real question is, what's next?

Rick,

Thanks for the response. I really appreciate contractors trying to improve the work. Tell me what you are looking for as far as results in hardwoods. I can show you maintenance decks and new decks. We are doing these every day.

I don't want to even go over the "old" stain from ESI.

The offer still stands on Ipe, Jotoba, etc. Put your product of choice and see what you like. You'll only be out the cost of shipping for the boards.

Paul,

I do not need any wood samples. We do have plenty of different hardwoods and softwoods to work on here in NJ. I reskinned my own personal deck in ipe' 4 years ago. I've had plenty of practice.

Its not the first two months after staining, its the last two months before maintenance. That is the question with hardwoods.