Sign in to follow this  
Chris S

Help with housewash with LOTS of glass

Question

I did and estimate today for a housewash with lots of glass ( pic included.)The customer specifically asked about the windows spotting. I told her that I never had a complaint about spotty windows, but depending on how hard her water was, she may see some spots. I would really like to get these windows to sparkle. The house has a spectacular view of the river and the golf course. This is a very high end job, and it would definitely lead to more work. I used the search function and I've read about using dawn or Cascade. What about dishwasher rinse aids? Has anyone experimented with mixing a rinse aid with plain water and downstreaming or x-jetting after a housewash? Also, I am not a window washer, but I guess I could wrap my hand around a squeegee on a pole if I had to.

post-1077-137772178769_thumb.jpg

10 answers to this question

Thanks Ken, I might give that a try.

I think I'm over analyzing this whole thing. I always have good results with my own housewash, but I just want to make sure everything is perfect. These people are having a retirement party for a well-known Doctor next month, and I would love for everyone to say, "Wow, that guy that washed your house did a great job!" "What's his number?"

If the windows spot, go over them with the windex outdoors. It attaches to the end of a garden hose, but I have poured a few bottles in my bucket with water 50/50 and downstreamed in on and rinsed it off.

Use a brush, squeegee, dawn and amonia and the windows will look awesome.75% of my bus. is windows. I usually use a different soap but dawn will work for your case.

If it will reach, you could mist (after final rinse) with a Mr. Clean Car Wash System. It has filters that de-ionize the water so that it can not spot.

Chris, ahhh don't we just wish our customers guests jawed all night about how clean their house and deck look. In my experience that's some wishfull, although positive, thinking!

/neil

Yeah, your probably right. Most will just be happy that they get free food.

Steve Rowlett RPC Chemicals has a rinse aid that you add to your mix

in a 5 gal pail 2 gal 12% 1/2 gal citracleen 1 oz foamer 1oz rinse aid top with water, works great. pre rinse the windows, shoot your house wash mix (m-5 xjet ?) rinse the windows before it drys . then rinse the siding .

windows look great Hope you get the job....

First of all try and do it on a cloudy day if possible. Windows look much better when you wash on a cloudy day verus a sunny day. I use a water softner so that also helps with getting away with using less house wash and the rinse is better too. I have tried rinse aids and they didn't work very well for me. I also have a mixed bed DI tank that I use on my car lots but that doesn't seem to make them much better then just the soft water since there is so much water dripping after the wash. DI works great on the cars though. Plus it cost me $75 per exchange on the tanks and I get about 1500 gallons of 0 ppm water. That is about 5 cents a gallon. Risning @ 5 cents per gallon can get expensive. That would be 25 cents a minute for me.

Another suggestion I have is to get your house wash down to a science. What I mean is never get a recipe from someone else and just stick with that. We all live in different parts of the country and the stuff we are washing off can be different. What works for one may not work for others. I live in West Michigan and it is very humid over here and we have lots of mold issues. We also have spiders very bad and their webs can cover a whole house. I took a recipe someone else had on these forums and used it for awhile. Then I noticed I had bad spotting and rinsing took forever. Slowly over the course of about 10 house washes I played with the formula. I kept lessening the amounts of each chemical I would use. I then got everyhting down to where I had just enough to get the job done. When you have the mixture right and are not using too much of one chem spotting will be reduced and rinsing will be easier. Depending on how dirty the surface is adjust your ratios to fit the job. It is no different then on deck jobs changing the strength of the stripper.