Sign in to follow this  
smokey51

How Tough is Marriage

Question

Talking to one of my potential customers the other day and somehow the subject got around to "how tough marriage is". He then made the statement "Heck, I have been married 30 years and OJ would have only gotten 20". I told him I would not use that against him to get the job.

While listening to XM radio there was some songwriter, singer singing a few songs that he had written. The best one though was it was his wife's birthday and he had no idea what to get her. He finally gave up and asked her what she wanted. After thinking it over for awhile, scratching her head she finally said "I want a divorce". Unfazed, his quick retort was "Honey, I wasn't planning on spending that much".

Got to love it.

Terry

8 answers to this question

I love being married.... I love the responsibility of being a husband and a daddy to my 2 little girls. There is nothing in this world that makes a man feel like a man more than this duty :)

100_2483%20copy.jpg?imgmax=576

100_2610%20copy.jpg?imgmax=576

This June will be 24 years for me. Marriage has its ups and downs but too many people nowadays expect everything to be great all the time. A little trouble and they want to hang it up. My Dad has been married three times. A lot of heartache left in that wake for a lot of people. Sometimes I wonder if he ever thinks life would have been better if he had toughed out the first one.

Never been married, and, never been divorced. Planning on Marriage very soon though. Been w/ my gf for ten years next week. I wanted to wait until she had her degrees wrapped up and not interfere. She wanted to wait and see where my music career ended up and whether or not the record label was going to carry my band for very long. Well, we all know where that road took me.

So with all that behind us now, we can finish out the plan. Divorce will never be in the picture either.

I already have a daughter from the Rock and Roll era of my life. Her and my girlfriend are best friends. It's a trip. I am looking forward to the rest of my life.

Divorces can cost as much as a lifetime of married savings and investments.

Prenupts only mean that one does not trust the other to begin with.

ILMXJ

There's notmuch point in waiting for the perfect time to get married anyway. If one of you wants to, you can always come up with something you want to accomplish before taking the plunge.

Even with the perfect match, marriage takes commitment. I think the majority of our disagreements have stemmed from how to raise and discipline our son. As with most families, it's been my job to be the hardass most of the time.

My wife and I grew up in families with very similar values and make-ups, so that has eased our road a bit. She has made me a better, more caring person along the way. We'll be celebrating 20 years on May 23rd.

was married for 19 years when my wife sprung divorce papers on me and said she didn't love me for the last 15 years. 2 daughters who I had a great relationship with and she turned the oldest against me and is working on the youngest which doesn't seem to be working. I was the father who worked the job between school hours while mom worked the corporate job then she decided I wasn't needed anymore. I am receiving alimony from her every week which makes some kind of ammends. But I also went through 2 years of hell and 30,000 in legal fees. but am now poor but happy again.

Hello Nat,

This is a pressure wash bb, I know, but what a tough story!

That's terrible!

19yrs invested and insult added to injury... Wow!

Best of luck to you.

I guess you are well on the way to learning how strong you can be!

One of the hardest things to do is get along with another person, especially if that other person is a female!

20yrs experience.

I have an excellent wife!

r

Depends upon the person. Married 1st wife in 1958. Still very happily married to 1st wife. First decade was rough and would suggest a short marriage - 7 pregnancies, 4 miscarries, lost one son age 5, hard economic times, time in Vietnam, no direction or hope. The secret? - married a girl who loved the Lord and who prayed for me until I came to know Him while in Vietnam. Lucky me. I would highly recommend it to anyone. Of course the fact that she has movie-star looks and appears 20 years younger does help!

Richard