Sign in to follow this  
NewYorkBoraPL

Pump Problem?

I went to go use my machine today and when I squeezed the trigger absolutely no water came out. It’s a used mitm machine with around 1000 hours on it. When I used it last week it was fine. So I thought there was air in the system or a clog in the system. What a pain in the rear to look through all the hoses. Well I cam to a conclusion that the line going from the water reservoir to the pump was empty. I can not figure out why the pump is not sucking up the water from the water inlet reservoir. I thought the pump was broken but when I hooked up the water supply straight to the pump it was working. Does anyone have any idea what my problem could be. I am farley new to industrial sized machines. I have a 3000 psi 4.7 gmp hot water pressure washer from mitm with a 16 hp vanguard engine. Any ideas would be great.

I had same setup until I changed some parts such as the vac type heater switch. Had so many problems with it firing that I went to a much more reliable flow based switch. But anyways the vac type come with a restrictor inside a hose barb right there where everyone says about checking your filter.

Check that also for a clog and check your hose clamps..can't be sucking air..

Thanks for all the information, I finally got around to tinkering around with the pump and it was In fact vapor locked. I am not too familiar with these types of machines (skids), but I assume the basic premise is the same as those which directly connect the H2o supply to the pump rather then a float tank. Now that the machine is actually functioning; there are a few glitches in the system. For starters the pressure does not build up until ~ 5 seconds after squeezing the trigger, then it sputters and hold pressure for a few minutes until it looses pressure. Can this be a clog in the system, air in the system, pump seals or any other components? The unloader looks a lot newer then the rest of the machine. I still have some fiddling around to do and any suggestions would be fantastic.

If this problem keeps on happening you should add a check valve in the line from the tank to the washer. Install it at the tank then the suction line will always have water in it. I like to use the swing type check valves. You can get them at Home Depot.

Thanks for the check valve idea; I am definitely going to check that out. I realized thatthe water line from the pump to the float tank does not hold water in it and allows the water to back flow into the float tank. This could theoretically solve my problem. Is this line I speak of supposed to hold water in it to prime the pump or should the pump be able to draw straight from the float tank without a problem?

You are losing prime on the pump. If you prime the line and add the check valve this will prevent backflow. Most pumps will not prime themselves. I have a 600 gallon tank on the trailer and if I break my connections then I will have to reprime the line.

Good luck.