Sign in to follow this  
MMI Enterprises

Conflicted on Omax and applying it

Question

Been doing plenty of testing these past few weeks with various oil and waterbased stains through hvlp, flojet, and pumpup spraying methods. Was real eager to try out the 5 year semi transparent Olympic Maximum (brown label) which is an oil/waterbase modified alkyd (emulsion) for decks,fences, siding. Is not what some are trying in the 3 year Waterproofing Sealant product they also offer.

First I chemically low pressure cleaned and brightened part of my fence last evening and then this morning shot the Omax through the flojet. Tried a 25020 and then a 25055 and had dismal results at trying to atomize the product with either. It showered out totally to my disliking and I ended up backbrushing and wetting fence to try and even out. Haha... I must say I like hvlp spraying by far and am better suited to that and so I can't blaim Omax really. I feel if I would have achieved an actual spray that the time messing around would have been minimized.

When it goes on it looks like a solid which made me really want to get a real even coat. Found it impossable with what I was using. Is no wonder why HO's trying it with a pumpup could get blotchy results.

Cleanup was a pure PITA... soap and water cleanup yea right!!. Got to get it real fast if you want clean up like standard waterbased products is my feeling.. What a sticky mess. Much rather cleanup oil with spirits then this stuff. Results stink but I include pics for your pleasure just the same :)

This product needs two coats and/or a good spray while applying is my feeling.. Do like the color though....

Now I really want to hear if anyone has had good results of putting this waterbase product through a wand/pump setup as Shane uses. Diluting it down with water by 50% or more may work since it did start to spray better while flushing my hose line and wand...

Results of one watered down backbrushed coat stink but I include pics for your pleasure and to see what the natural cedar color looks like:

post-2209-137772178989_thumb.jpg

post-2209-137772178995_thumb.jpg

4 answers to this question

CWF is similar in that it is supposed to be the best of both worlds. It also clogged my airless worse than either a straight latex or a straight oil. Soap and water??? What a joke. Maybe there just isn't a way to have your cake and eat it too.

I'm willing to try Wood Tux Wet, and I know parafinnic oils like Timber Oil and Ready Seal work well, so I'm happy for now.

Larry, You mean the Woodrich Timber Oil? Wish I knew where to get local..

Cabots Aussie Timber Oil seems nice too. Is marketed as a hard wood oil. The one I tried was a natural clear color... looked great on new redwood. I imagine it only a 1-2 year product like anything else though.