Sign in to follow this  
Raptor

cleaning burner coils

Question

4 answers to this question

Since you say cover, I read that to mean soot build up vs scale build up. I have descaled on an as needed basis, but have not washed the coil in 5 years. I occasionally use Red Devil Soot remover in the diesel tank though.

If your airbands are adjusted right, then you should not have any worries after only a year.

Also there is a signature rule for the forum. Follow this link to the forum rules on signatures, and update yours using the USER CP in the upper left hand corner.

http://forums.thegrimescene.com/forum-general-announcements/4143-signature-requirements-users-please-read.html

In case the inside of coil tubing is being refered to.....

How often is subjective to amount of use. Unhook a line and see if there is any buildup on the inside of tubing. Might want to clean it with coil cleaner if it gets thicker then say a thin finger nail or if there is noticable flow differenece or noticable heating difference. Personally I just hook a flojet up as a loop and cycle about a 20% mixture of hydrochloric through for but a minute or two.Then I change the fluid out and do it again until it comes out clean. I follow up with a fresh water flush before hooking lines back up...

In case the inside of coil tubing is being refered to.....

How often is subjective to amount of use. Unhook a line and see if there is any buildup on the inside of tubing. Might want to clean it with coil cleaner if it gets thicker then say a thin finger nail or if there is noticable flow differenece or noticable heating difference. Personally I just hook a flojet up as a loop and cycle about a 20% mixture of hydrochloric through for but a minute or two.Then I change the fluid out and do it again until it comes out clean. I follow up with a fresh water flush before hooking lines back up...

I hope you're buying "inhibited hydrochloric, or muriatic". Regular muriatic will eat iron...

I use a phosphoric mix that is used for descaling kitchen dishwashers...it's safe for the metals and does a really good job. Check a commercial kitchen or cleaning supplier for a source.

I use muriatic for a very short time when I do it. How does one make it inhibited..put some undies on it? lol...j/k :)

Oh also.... mine is stainless if that matters any..

.edit-- .seems there all sorts of options involving vinegar, citric acid, or safe antifreeze: Hydrochloric acid acidizing composition and method - US Patent 5441929