Sign in to follow this  
Ron G.

PTP deck testing

Question

I have 400 sq.ft of 2 yr. old PTP decking. No prior cleaning / sealing.

My plan,

Clean w/EFC-38

Neutralize w/OX or Citralic

Sealed w/ESI's WTO - Warm Honey Gold

I also have a sample amount of WTW - Warm Honey Gold, Thinking of selecting an area (prob. handrail) and spliting it into thirds.

1 third apply WTO only.

1 third apply WTW only.

1 third apply WTO, topped w/WTW.

This deck is in full exposure of sun and elements

Your thoughts and or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Ron

9 answers to this question

I would advise that two year old pressure treated pine is not a good substrate for the two step finish application you described. Typically, this method would be used on very old and neglected wood. Wood that is a little more "thirsty."

Two year old pressure treated pine will quickly become saturated with the Woodrich Brand Timber Oil Stain. This product is very low in resin solids and very high in non drying paraffinic oil. It is designed as an oiling stain. Because the wood will be completely saturated with the non drying oils you will only be able to get a very small amount of Wood-Tux down.

Wood-Tux is designed to dry and cure which is why it lasts much longer than a non drying stain. It actually locks everything into the wood. Because the Timber Oil doesn't dry it will blend with the Wood-Tux when you apply the second step. Because the ratio of Wood-Tux to Woodrich is so low it will impede the curing process.

I think you would be much better off just applying either the Wood-Tux Stain or the Woodrich Brand Timber Oil alone on 2 year old pressure treated wood. As an alternative, you could try blending the Wood-Tux and the Timber Oil together at a 2:1 ratio Tux to Timber Oil. That would be similar to our Woodrich brand Stain and Seal.

Thanks Russell,

What if I give the WTO a period of time to dry a bit, say a week or even a month, then could I top coat w/WTW?

I thought that I recalled others posting about applying WTW over an oil, maybe it was a situation much like you stated where the wood was extremely dry, just trying to clarify.

Close-up,

Yeah, I see the "fuzzies", to be expected from a newbie hack!

Not sure how the color will look on your 'puter, but it's not to orange, once it dries in a bit. Just as advertized, "warm honey gold".

post-1481-137772180725_thumb.jpg

Close-up,

Yeah, I see the "fuzzies", to be expected from a newbie hack!

About 2 brief passes with the 1st 60 grit and 2nd 80 grit would take that off, You want to see fuzzies, I should show you what I encountered 3 weeks ago where I came to quote a deck that looked like it had a fur coat. between the squirrels that tore up the corner posts, and the mildew that had grown from the overhanging treeline, lol. it was perdy!!!! Didn't get the job, but I bid it about $300 higher just for the sanding necessary.

Not sure how the color will look on your 'puter, but it's not to orange, once it dries in a bit. Just as advertized, "warm honey gold".

I like that color, maybe I'll try a new line of products in the near future I've always wanted to give WTW a go but I like the ease of parafinic stains. especially with helpers that I can't stand over at every minute. I guess I'll have to work on it.