Sign in to follow this  
dkpowerwashing

12.5% mix?

Question

11 answers to this question

When you say 'stuff'...I assume you mean whatever else is added to the solution bucket? Can the apple sauce mix work on houses as alwell as roofs?

I do have a downstream as well. I didn't like it when I used it. I realized later it was my own fault, after doing more read on this site. I had put one gallon of bleach and added four gallons of water, then I downstreamed. Obviously didn't work. I have to draw straight chemicals from the downstream. Live and learn.

Apple sauce is for roofs straight as mixed.

Recipes are as such:

35 gallon formula:

10.5 gallons of 12% sodium hypochlorite

22.75 gallons of water

4 lbs. 6 oz. of TSP

4 lbs. 6 oz. of borax

5 gallon formula:

1.5 gallons of sodium hypochlorite (2 gal for heavy clean)

3.25 gallons of water

10 oz. of TSP (20oz. for heavy clean)

10 oz. of Borax (20oz.for heavy clean)

Houses take from 1.5% to about 4% max bleach.

Go here for xjet recipes and info on draw rates:

House Washing Techniques and Formulas

To figure things perfect for your needs or tank sizes use following formula:

take c (desired tank percentage) x the flipped fraction t (desired tank volume) over b (starting bleach percentage) ?

Formula being C x (t/b)

..as worked out here: http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/residential-pressure-washing/10204-12-5-sh-quesiton.html

:)

Thanks for the help. I do have one question- the article you gave about x-jet was against downstreaming (for obvious reason)...do you feel downstreaming is more cost effective. ie- the article suggest that you spend more on replacing damaged equipment by downstreaming.

Although I don't xjet I know that they are two different animals and that statement of one being more cost effective is way subjective.

Every chore (concrete degreasing,concrete brightening, house washing, high house washing, roof washing, wood cleaning, wood stripping, wood brightening, etc.) demands differing chemical strengths and differing chemicals and differing flow or application rates to the point of there not being a universal parts material that can withstand the variety of abuse in corrosion.

The general feeling though on downstreaming is that for the majority of tasks a mild enough dilution is to be used on task anyway hence the downstreamer, hose, wand, tips, swivels, connections, of the machine is not overly harmed. Depending on job size the chems are not in contact with the parts long enough but for to give it the needed cleaning they could likely use anyway.

Surely part of the fear involved with increasing draw rates of downstream methods is that many people might end up corroding their parts faster then their warrantees or could hurt people or property with chemicals..(more liability) :)

Some jobs demand strong ratio though so I am fan of straight chem applied by specialty type pumps where all the parts are taylored to the chems I am going to put through it. (house washing not such a job though)

As to whether that article was against downstreaming and it for obvious reasons... I don't know as the main use of high house washing can be done just fine with downstreaming. The chem ratio in a on board mixing tank can be strong enough and most find they can still apply chems high through proper tip sizing.

They are selling the xjet so that is part of obvious reasoning.. :)

I have read alot on 12% bleach for roofs. Would the applesauce mix that was for 35 gallons work for homes made of bricks. We usually do concrete, driveways, and heavy equipment. Have a big commercial brick building to clean? I would of asked on another topic, but haven't found one yet. We have a 55 gallon drum that we delute degreaser for heavy equipment. We exjet that on. Any help would be appreciated.

I think I get the math part.

Are you saying that Applesauce is about 3% Sodium Hypochlorite? The reason I ask is that I have to do the math backwards since I can only get 10% here. If so, I can just dilute by 2/3 and never have to do any of that complex figuring. I have been going with a 5% solution, but am using a low volume approach.

Larry,

With 12% Apple Sauce recipe starts at 3.6% mixed -- .036x5gal/.12=1.5gal

...and goes upto 5%--- .05x5gal/.12= 2 gal.

It is for roofs and I think some say ya can go upto 6% or so on them.

On housewashes though the consensus is to not go over 4%..

The math formula above in my other post is real fast and you can't go wrong with it..

for apple sauce with 10%:

.036 5 gal .18

1 X .10 = .10 = 1.8 GAL.