Sign in to follow this  
SPW Clean

Cleaning Out Gutters

Question

6 answers to this question

Most of the time I just my 8' step ladder for this job. I'm a big fan of using a leaf blower of pressure washer (just don't hit a shingle) if they are really bad.

Also a 1x6 piece of wood (YP or cheaper) on top of the gutter and against the drip edge will work. No weight on the gutter and also will not scratch or damage shingles. The board should be 1' wider than the ladder on both sides.

I use a 32' aluminum with a stand off and built in leg levelers. This alows me to reach most all houses in this area. It it is a large mcmansion with a walk out basement then it will not be tall enough and I pass on the job. So fare have not lost any jobs due to not reaching it. I hand clean the gutters and put debris in a bucket. No blowers since I do not want to clean the yard. I sweep up all walks and decks if stuff falls. I also use a 18' folding little giant step ladder that is lighter for most of the low work. The third ladder is a light 20' aluminum ladder for working off second story roofs when needed to reach the gutters on second floor. I carry up one section of this ladder when needed. All ladders have stand offs and I also carry a corner stand off for the odd time it just needs to be used to get to a wierd spot when the stand off can not go onto a slate roof