Sign in to follow this  
One Call Power Wash

Shopping Carts

Question

I was given the opportunity to wash and sanitize shopping carts for a well known food store at four locations. Each location has approx 200 plus shopping carts. Anybody have an idea on pricing ? I would like to charge per cart but have no idea's.

If anybody can help, it would be appreciated.

10 answers to this question

One Call,

Under 275 you should be at $1 per cart.Over 275 you'll need to be at $.75 per cart.Since these are 4 seperate locations,I would stay at $1 per cart/per location,a 15degree tip with hot water works well,and is super quick.

Grocery Cart Washing: from http://www.dcs1.com/del/pricing.html

Method #1: Free to $2.00 per cart., $1.00 per cart average.

Method #2: 75 cents per cart for over 250 carts, $1.00 per cart for less than 250 carts.

Hint: 15 degree tips or turbo nozzles work well.

I will add that 2 people would help so that you are not chasing carts all day. A good set of rain gear and a short lance would also help.

A few years ago I saw a guy that made a trailer for washing them. It was an enclosed trailer with the ramp for a rear door. He pushed them in, and closed the door, and started the washer.

He had the walls, roofs and floor plumbed with iron pipe and nozzles. When he started the washer, it was like a 3 tier dish washer and the steam that built up in there cleaned everything that would come off. The trailer had drains in the floor with hoses

that went to the planters on site.

Forget what size the trailer was, but he got about 75 carts in there at a time. Was real fast. If I would of known that I was going to start a pressure cleaning business, I would have paid more attention.

One Call,

You mention you need to wash and SANITIZE, exactly what does the customer want with the sanitizing?

Also not sure about your area but here in the West there are companies that do nothing but shopping carts, they clean, oil the wheels, replace as needed etc.

Not sure what they charge but have seen them in action, large box truck, 5 guys, water containment mat, own water and they do a whole market in about 2 to 3 hours.

As far as pricing goes the guys where right on and you do need a helper or two.

One moves them up to be washed and removes all paper from them, you wash and the other puts them back against the store wall.

What I mean by sanitize is that hot water has to be used at 135 degree or better. That is what is written. I have several employees so that wont be a problem on the help. We currently do all outside concrete for the 4 food stores and they want us to also clean the shopping carts. They have never had them cleaned so competition is not a problem. We have wash mats that we use for Step Van cleaning, I figured we could use them and place up to 25 on one mat and hot clean with some disinfectant/degreaser mix. I the help on this is appreciated.

Onecall,

I would make sure you lubricate the wheel bearings like Jon mentioned after the cleaning. If not it could come back to haunt you.

Not sure if they are metal or plastic carts. If plastic I would make sure they will take the heat ok first. Would be terrible if they distorted.

Be careful with any soaps you use. Kids skin will have direct contact with surfaces.

Have seen them being washed and than dried with the large carpet blowers .

Hey take two surface cleaners and mount them at cart height verticaly opposed to each other. Have a self propelled track and run the carts between them.

Next have two blowers setup the same way.

Good quick effective wash!

Would only need 1-2 people!

All they want is 135° heat, not very much to sanitize and remove germs, gum and what not.

I would go to the same high heat as you use for concrete 185°+ if metal.

If plastic that is another story.

Hey guys how much should we BILL One Call for mentioning LUBE those wheels?

One Call, best way I found to do that is with one of those old long nose oil cans where you can point it in and push the bottom a couple times.

Does not matter that they are still wet, just a couple good squirts is all it takes.