Sign in to follow this  
tigerzak

HELP!!! ABRP Stripit All/Fast Finish Remover

Question

Has anybody used a product from American Builders & Restoration Products called Fast Finish Remover or Stripit All?

If so, have you had good result? I did a deck today using the fast finish remover mixing 4:1 as per instructions. It barely touched the finish. The deck had 2 coats of stain (I don't know what kind) it took 5 applications and I still didn't get it completely cleaned. I let the product dwell for approx 30-40 minutes the first 4 times. I tried increasing the strength. The last time I let it dwell for close to an hour and a half with no results.

They also make a product called stripit all. It seems to be a lot thicker. The directions do not say anything about cutting with water or to use straight.

If anyone has any info on this product I could really use the help.

Thanks

13 answers to this question

ABR's Strip-it-all has to be applied straight and allowed to dwell. The stuff is thick and gelatinous which helps it to stick to verticals better but it is not going to work on all coatings. Pain in the unowhat to apply but works great on what it will react with. Requires a significant amount of neutralization and a ton of rinsing in my experience with it.

Rod!~

Yes PITA to use. Did you test the stripper to see if it can be stripped before you took the job? Do a search about stripping decks you will do find all the info you need.

It seems to be cracking more than peeling. No I didn't do a test on the dec k before I took the job. This has been a good learning experience.

When I use the stripit all will I be able to use a hand sprayer to apply? The directions say so but it looks a little thick..

Thanks so much for all the replies

Tiger

Anybody got a clue as to what the active chemical in it might be..sounds like a rip off if it says it strips all. Personally if it didn't touch it the first try I would have saved my money.

But hey tiger.. if the finish was more of a thick goop top coat that was cracking then it possably some HO attempt at poly urathaning..Please show a picture of it..

Reason I mention it perhaps being a poly as opposed to heavy coating of acrylic like mentioned in some other threads is cause I feel it much more likely that HO will grab the cheapest most readily available thing they see at the big box to acheive their wants in a beautiful permanent glossy coating. They know it is sure fire one coat and cheap.They know not what they do to themselves by going such route...

Sounds like you'll be going the Bix Jasco method of removal. Please let us know how it works out..

Think Bix Bix Products Page might be the maker of Jasco paint removers.. JASCO® Paint Removers & Strippers but maybe not.(edit: apparently Homax is parent company of both).. The epoxy version is their strongest (methylene chloride) but is fairly expensive. Is not as expensive though as another similar product called Aircraft stripper...perhaps cheaper to sand whatever is on there.

Pictures can be resized in most any image viewing program like Paint or MS Digital Imaging. Some times 800x600 will end up creating a small enough file size when saving..some times not..depends on camera formats or resize prog. I use MSDI, or Kodak Easy Share..