Sign in to follow this  
bigchaz

Wood tux on fences?

Question

Anyone ever wood tux on a fence? Or is their a preferable product for fences?

People never want fences done, but I finally got a bid for one tomorrow evening. For those of you who do get fences whats your rate been like lately? 50 cents a square? 3/lin foot? Is that too low? too high?

5 answers to this question

Have delved pretty deep into the prospect of offering fence care and the balance between being able to make money at it while still satisfying the customers needs of ending up with a decent looking fence that is actually protected..

It is gonna be a tough sell is my feeling so far cause they want long term protection. If customers have a new fence and they are of the mind that it needs protection then the builder likely offers a seriously cheap rate to apply a clear water protection for pennies. If they are of the mind that they messed up last time in not protecting their old fence then they may be swayed towards a solid paint. That kinda puts us out don't it....

The cost of new fence install runs about $20 ln.ft. avg. out here which makes the fence something you would think customers would like to protect as an investment. Don't see a whole lot of it getting done though by 3rd party contractors.

A neighbor down the street put in about 150' of tounge and groove redwood that surely ran them $28 ln. ft. and have not heard back about doing anything with it even though I priced them rediculously low at like $.20..

When I asked the fence install guys about it they said "It's redwood" as if it don't need protection so I know what info the HO is basing their decisions on. In a year or two it will look like the rest in the neighborhood well on its way to a delapidated grey fencedom.

Omax 5yr waterbase looks decent but I didn't like working with water.... Penofin stinks and will only last a year or two in sun but it looks good in cedar color on redwood....WTW honey looks really good on my redwood test boards but have no idea how long it will last. It surely seems a logical choice on a fence restore. (splash and dash!)... RS blackened even though I am out west where it wasn't supposed to...haven't tried TWP or Bakers yet..

Here is what I have worked out for full on fence restore:

1 gal.= 33' of 6' fence= 198 sq. ft.

33' restore & stain= 1 hour

33'x$20 build=$660/5 (20% of replacement cost)= $132- 1gal.,etc. materials= somewheres around $90 an hr. with wtw and you get to do fence in one day..

$132/198sq.ft.= $.066 per. sq. ft. or $4 per ln.ft.

When I tested the figures out on relatives and neighbors with replacement costs in mind it seems to work out. But as you can see it applies to full on restore with grey removal. Maybe I can get more..time will tell.

On just waterproofing new fencing I think I can do $.335 with $27 product.

That works out to $.20 labor for simply pumping it on with hand sprayer or sureflow. Will have to be a certain minimum though what with cleanup time involved.

..well that's what I got for today :)

Kevin,

You are right on. AND remeber this: IT IS A FENCE. Here in Atl it is about $15 a lin foot for a 6 foot high cedar.

With the right tools you can knock out some fence. Priced per square foot will kill you in my opion.