Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

nail setting

Question

Im doing a deck on Monday and just about half the nails need to be set. Ive read where some of you guys use nail guns to set them, Is there a gun that I can buy that uses electricity so I dont have to buy an air compressor?

7 answers to this question

I'm curious to hear as well. At currant we use a ball peen hammer as a nail set and a conventional hammer to strike with.

I was reading that other thread, but everyone has a pneumatic nailer.

Im going to try the ball peen hammer route. I am just trying to avoid being on my hands and knees as much as possible.

Jon, if the deck is nice and dry being careful with a reg hammer works for us most time to set nails back to deck level. We're usually detailing at least a day after strip/wash, so they are usually dry. If wet, I have two cordless paslode finish guns that work great to reset even the largest coated galvanized decking nails. It does take longer than a hammer, but a better option when wet than a hammer and nail set. hate those.

/neil

10 min. or so to hammer nails is no extra charge. Especially if they are home and see the extra service. I have charged $50 extra to take care of a more severe deck but I simply include it in my original estimate and point it out to the customer. "that price includes wash , stain , and hammering in your excessive loose nails." I never itemize, just one price for the finished product. If they wan't to save money by hammering the nails in themselves I offer to knock off $25 and most just say "oh we'll you can do that". Pricing and selling is a game. Play to win!!!! As far as removing nails or screwing in boards that is a onsite call for your own situation. I preferr to hand off all but minor repair work to a friend who also networks with me for cleaning . I make sure my handyman is prompt and considerate and it just makes me look like a good source to go to without getting bogged down with services I choose not to offer. I can get a higher rate for cleaning and staining than repair work so thats what I do. The sound of my power washers running is music to my wallet. I realize many have their own situation and like to be the one source for total deck care and that is great.

Ended up just doing it with a hammer. used a nail set only on the ones that just wouldnt go flush. Even though only 1/3 of the nails were popped, many were a little loose, just hadnt popped above the surface.

About an hour on my hands an knees. not too bad. I like to do those things before I start washing, since I use WTW. I only let it dry completely if I see a lot of furring after washing.