Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

How would you guys hit this deck?

Question

The typical suspect for a N. California redwood deck here. No presence of failing finish. Curious how you guys would deal with it. I'd wet it down, soak it with efc-38, 20 min. dwell, and rinse @ 800 p.s.i. Soak it again with citralic, and rinse.

Any other approaches?

post-1749-137772180517_thumb.jpg

post-1749-137772180524_thumb.jpg

27 answers to this question

What happened to all the bleach lovers? Shane, would you not recommend bleach cleaning on this deck? James - what chems would you use on this deck? Will EFC-38 lose it's fanbase to the ever adjustable HD-80? LOL. I guess if I had to worry about cleaning 10 decks a day - I'd get real efficient as well. But the height of my efficiency is to downstream a bleach, TSP, surfactant recipe onto the deck. So far ok.

I suppose its all a matter of preference. We would probably use a strong percarb on a deck like that. The caustics will break down the degraded wood a little faster but it turns into a matter of what would you rather work with. We have often boosted our percarbs with stripper on some jobs just to make the chemicals more "user friendly". I dont think anyone would disagree to the fact that a good mist of stripper hitting you in the face is no fun.

In looking at the photos though a strong percarb alone would pull the remaining finish from those rails. Other things to look at are the surrounding plants and what kind of siding is on the house. Siding with an oil based paint/stain will take alot more prep/caution than if it were vinyl as well.