Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Best Techniques Using Surface Cleaner

Question

Let me start by saying that my Steel Eagle 24" was the BEST investment I ever made with my residential pw business! Thanks Mark!:lgwave: Everytime I break that thing out, I smack myself for not picking on of these things up 2 years ago! Really, if your even half way serious about making a profit doing flatwork, you need to by one of these! They are awesome!

Okay, that being said, I was wondering if anyone could share their "techniques" for using their SC. Personally, my latest challenge has to do with dealing with the hose getting in my way while I'm operating the SC. Anyone have any good techniques when it comes to efficiently using their SC? Frankly, I was thinking of hiring a guy to JUST deal with my hose while Im operating the SC. That tension thing really burns my arm out! Im already dealing with Carpal Tunnel and I really wish I could figure out how to, 1) Reduce tension created by the hose dragging behind me, and, 2) Figure an operating "system" that would somehow help to get that confounded hose out of my way when I drive that thing down a walkway!

Anyone care to share the technique they have developed when they use their surface cleaner?

Thanks!

post-1749-137772180853_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

You need to plan your route a little. Say you have a driveway to clean. A typical 20 x 20 2 car will play the role here.

I would start on the bottom and clean it from bottom to top, so the hose will be on the sidewalk and when I walk, it will start on my right.

When I get to the edge, I turn to the left and the hose follows behind me and I never touch it. When I get to the other edge, I turn to the right and the hose is still following and not touched. You can do the whole driveway like this and not touch the hose.

Of course you can't always have a squared item to clean, but if you clean the edge first and then go for the rest, the hose will follow. If you always turn away from the hose then it haunts you less often.

Those large pneumatics are nice to jump the hose and then kick it with your foot.

What Alan said. That is by far the best way to do it. I also lay my hose out in a serpentine way in about 15 to 20 foot sections, so that I am only pulling a small section, instead of all the hose.

My Water Jet hooks to the left so I just turn "with" the hose at the end of each pass. Do all your cutting in and edging of the driveway near grass first - my unit has a wand attached to the SC so it ideal in these situations. I usually only wet 1/2 at a time, let my chem dwell, and then clean and rinse, then do the other 1/2 the same way do prevent anything from drying and to prevent a hot hose from hitting grass. I love cleaning concrete - it is a relief after carrying a wand all day on residentials.

All of the above plus:

a flow-type (K-7/K-1) unloader. Not having stiff hoses to deal with all the time goes a long way toward reducing fatigue;

a 3rd Hand for the gun;

Sun Brite sells a harness that you wear and it holds and pulls the hose as you walk.

Also, get a Mosmatic swivel for the end of your hose (another tip from Alan that I love). You'll be surprised how easy it is on your wrists and stuff...they are really nice.

When I started I was laying serpentine at the bottom of drive and working across in 6 foot strips up and back. That is how I was taught. It worked okay but I found it works better for me to pull the hose of one side of the drive in about half. I start at the bottom and go all the way to the top then turn away from my hose and go back to the bottom. I clean a strip across the top and the bottom to allow turning room.

I also use the shortest hose possible for the drive. A 25 ft if I can get away with it. I leave the injector out and the surface cleaner will fly except for weighting it down with a hammer. Allows me to walk at a good pace, about as fast as mowing grass. Do the drive first then add my injector and additional hose to clean the rest of the house and apply my chlorine before getting to the house wash.