Sign in to follow this  
mobilemike

Vinyl Siding Quote - 68,000 square ft

Question

I was just asked to give a quote on vinyl siding at an apartment complex. The siding has little dark spots on it which I believe to be mildew because I have washed these before and have had success using a bleach solution.

My question is:

How much do I charge per square foot? I usually bid by the piece but there is so much to this apartment complex, I'm not sure where to start.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

20 answers to this question

Doubt I can be much help but to further the topic can you tell us how many buildings, how many stories, is the 68k a single story interior measurement or did you already figure ln.ft. into sq. ft. to come to that ?

Depending on configuration and actual amount of wall footage I'd think job could be anywhere between $2k and $8k or more even.

I mean you could have actual sq.ft. only 20k or 40k with 10 single story bulidings 12' high or you could have double that with two stories.

Think you really got to know your cost of materials per sq. ft. before you can consider being competative with using a sq. ft. method of pricing. Maybe you'll have to use 200 gal, 400 gal, or double that for two story..surely the condo king Jeff will jump in... shoot him a pm..

I get about 10 cents a square foot, for a large complex I would cut a break but you need to assume the cost of lift if it's needed. Therefore, it usually comes out to about the usual. $7,000 for that job.

I appreciate all the feedback. The building is a two story condo complex consisting of about 10 buildings. The one day I forget to bring my digital camera with me, was today when I went to look and talk to the manager. Sheesh! Wish I had pics. I did find one similiar looking apartment complex on google. It's attached.

IMG_9437.jpg

post-2809-13777218192_thumb.jpg

I appreciate all the feedback. The building is a two story condo complex consisting of about 10 buildings. The one day I forget to bring my digital camera with me, was today when I went to look and talk to the manager. Sheesh! Wish I had pics. I did find one similiar looking apartment complex on google. It's attached.

IMG_9437.jpg

Dont listen to Ken about rates!

That building would be about $800- $1000 not counting the cost of a lift. If the balconies are open (not screened in) we would clean them also at a higher rate. If they are screened, no cleaning. 2 guys would do 3 buildings in a 9-10 hour day. Up north Id get double that rate probably

$2400-$3000 a day for 2 men. I know Just call me Low Balling Jeff LOL LOL:)

come on ,he's pulling yer leg. :) .. chemical is gonna be half penny...what about gas, mickey d's, and pepsi? He musta meant half a dime..Jefffff....yer killing us with them lowball rates!! lol

ok... I'll go down to $.03

You shouldnt believe everything you read

Lowball rates thats funny, Cali & SC are worlds apart

Mike, you're on easy street.

You said you've done them before... with success.

Figure it based on what you know per unit, then multiply.

Do a quick test spot, to verify your own information.

Add in the lift and transit labor costs.

walk the site and check for abnormal probs during working hours.

Give 'em your price!

If THEY need price per sq ft, THEY can divide, if they wish (and have calculated all the bloomin' surface area on their cut up project!

r

You shouldnt believe everything you read

Lowball rates thats funny, Cali & SC are worlds apart

No Jeff we are not worlds apart...Was meaning to be funny..I don't do 3 cent buildings...thaz just nuts. :)

Way I see this job is approx. 336 ln.ft. per building x 25' (height and eaves) x about $.07. I'd be nice and disregard pricing in the balconies or the pitched ends. I'd do 2 buildings per day with a helper and gross $1176 per day for 5 days...I'd ladder the balcony since it two story and shoot the rest from the ground.

3 story another ball game..

Also, If you want to figure the pitched ends multiply the ln.ft. of the wall in question by the peak height and divide by 2. :)

The method above will give you the area of the triangular section of wall that is above the pitched roof's gutterline. That area can then be added to the area of the square wall upon which the triangular section is standing.

Is that sufficiently hazy? Sorry, but this is easier to talk about than it is to write about.

Essentially, (this from a math-phobe, mind you) the length of the wall times the height of the triangular section gives you the area of a rectangle. (length x height) Since triangles describe 1/2 of a rectangle (bisected diagonally) you can divide the area by 2 and have the area of the triangle you lacked.

This method of measuring is useful when estimating irregularly shaped surfaces. You can divide the irregular shape into various squares and triangles, and then measure the differnt sections and add the results.

This is helpful when your measurements need to be very exact. In practice, I find it can actually be a distracting factor on smaller jobs. On a large job, such as this one, the peak height area will be substantial. I'd include it in the bid area.

My mistake on this.:lgtear: Buildings are 2 story....but still 68,000 feet for whole project. Doesn't look like i'll need a lift to get it done. I don't have any employees, so will have to hire some help. I think I will bid high...probably the .07 per sq.ft. I appreciate all the feedback. This is a big job....I've done the smaller apartment buildings. Would most of you consider this a 2 person job?

Thanks, Mike

Definitely a 2 person job IMO. Always goes much smoother with another person than alone, regardless if you are both cleaning or not.

It is a big job - bid .07 a foot and feel confident about it. Just hope some hack with a HD machine doesn't underbid you.

How do you guys get lined up for apartment buildings? I always get the "We have a maintenance crew that handles it."

Would most of you consider this a 2 person job?

Mike, there are just too many good reasons to have at least one other person with you.

Some of the better ones:

-Safety: Yours, and that of the unsuspecting or oblivious residents or guests that will be in your work areas.

-Help: You will need someone to handle the hoses, move chems, pre-set equipment while moving, etc.

-Professionalism: I know this drum gets beat pretty hard sometimes, but I'm serious. You will want to look like you've been on large jobs before. Showing up alone will stir the curiosity of the managers and the residents. Don't give them the chance to imagine you are some rinky-dink outfit, here today, gone tomorrow.

-Company: You will have to leave the site, or at least go inside once and again on a job this big. Your business' entire asset list will be outside, out of your sight every time nature rings or whatever. Company can just be there, maybe even working in some way. That is good.

I would consider finding a local competitor that might be able to help out, it can save you some headaches, and make for a favor in the bank for down-the-road. Others here commonly do this. You might not have time enough to train an employee beyond being dangerous, if you don't start sooner than later.

Good luck on the bid, keep us informed!:)

Thanks again for the input you guys. The idea about hiring someone else ( competitor ) to help out with this is a good idea. I will take that into consideration. I will present the bid tommorrow and then we'll see what happens. And yes...I think the reasons stated above are good reasons to get some additional help on this job.

Bryan, On this job, it was a referral from a commercial property management firm here in town that I had done some work for. On my drive home from giving this bid, I saw a couple of other apartment complexes that were totally filthy. This was the first time I had even paid attention to them. The manager of the complex called me. I would probably just get on the phone and start calling property managers or the specific apartment complex ( as in this case ).

Scott, Thanx for clarifying what I meant on the pitched ends. ..Ln. Ft. x the triangles height /2 ... then add that to the main rectangles area below. :)

I knew you knew what you meant, but when I read it, it took me a minute to get you. I figured it couldn't hurt to help out a little.:lgwave:

Thanks again for the input you guys. The idea about hiring someone else ( competitor ) to help out with this is a good idea. I will take that into consideration. I will present the bid tommorrow and then we'll see what happens. And yes...I think the reasons stated above are good reasons to get some additional help on this job.quote]

Go Gettum, Mike!:lgmoneyey