Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

My new roof cleaning tool..... check it out!

Question

11 answers to this question

It should look alot like my other one ( except it will have dif paint scheme) when complete.though they are dif year models, this one will boast a little more horse power out of the engine.

post-1033-137772181914_thumb.jpg

Adrian's building his own little loach! Man, that is a cool hobby. Mine is rinsing. (lol)

I hear that remote control helicopters are extremely dangerous to their owners when they first start out, but a homebuilt chopper you actually fly inside? Waaay cool!

Adrian, is this classed as ultralight? What is the powerplant? Is it controlled by the usual controls I'm familiar with (cyclic, collective, and pedals), or something new/different?

I'm fascinated!:cool:

Wow that looks like fun. How long did it take to build the last one? Whats the range and how's the mileage? Do you need a pilot's liscense?

They can be built in as little as 40 hrs., but the last was completed over a couple of months. 6 gal tank will get you about 4 hr.s flight time if you consume modestly ( 80-90-knots or so). at full cap ( 125- 140 knots) you'll be refueling in a couple hrs.Type of Licensing depends on how you have the bird certified by FAA. It can be kept at experimental level which will lower or raise the type of license required. It is still pretty pricey at the lowest level of FAA req's about 5k up to 20k (mostly in flight hrs.).

Adrian's building his own little loach! Man, that is a cool hobby. Mine is rinsing. (lol)

I hear that remote control helicopters are extremely dangerous to their owners when they first start out, but a homebuilt chopper you actually fly inside? Waaay cool!

Adrian, is this classed as ultralight? What is the powerplant? Is it controlled by the usual controls I'm familiar with (cyclic, collective, and pedals), or something new/different?

I'm fascinated!:cool:

They are classified as experimental ( if you want to remain at that level) or certified as private aircraft. It requires certain inspections at certain levels of the build if you want to go that route. Or, over the years people have simply built them and flown them ( or crashed ) on their own private property with no FAA inspects and license at all. Not very wise IMO, but tempting. Hard to insure and fly with a sense of reliability unless the pro's inspect and certify it along the way of the build.

It has all the usual bells and whistles of a Robinson 22 or 44 just downsized.

Not much different in collective, stick and peds except smaller and very tight.

Invision a 55 chevy bel air with power steering and one without. But the weight difference makes it negligable in response.

The build can go as fast or as slow as you want. Some people takes years to build them. Others do it in a couple of weeks w/ inspects. I have seen some of these birds built with what is called a PEP ( performance Enhancement Package) Boiled down, it is basically a super charger for the 85 hp Rodant ( rotax engine) It's pretty fast on it's own, 125 mph with 300 lb payload. A large man should consider the Robinson by far. With PEP it will go 150 - 170.

But stress mods have to be made on the frame and tans links assemblies.

They tend to disintegrate at light speed unless re-enforced. Or simply attach XJETS to the struts. lol.

Oh yeah, the blue one is for sale..... hint hint.

I've been flying for 20 years, but helicopters still scare me. Strange, since my dad was in the 1st Air Cav in Vietnam, and I have flown everything from a Tiger Moth to sailplanes, balloons, WW II bombers and fighters. One of my old avatars was taken while flying a Twin Beech (BE-18). I have basically lived at airports for the last 25 years.

Helicopters just have too many things going on at one time. What is it they say...just a bunch of parts flying in formation?? I have some time in an autogyro, and may fly a bit today in one. The owner is a CFI and has offered to get me a rating in it for cheap ($70.00/hr.), and I can do it in a weekend. Since I'm due for my BFR (Biennial Flight Review) anyway, I can kill two birds with one stone. Of course, his autogyro has a one piece carbon fiber rotor, so none of that craziness going on over your head. He's in the process of buying an R-44 Robinson now.

I'm attaching a top secret helicopter photo to add to your collection!

Good luck with the build!

post-1644-137772181926_thumb.jpg

Ironic you should chime in Larry. I was thinking about who that guy was at the cape. I actually just got back from Bloomfield from picking this one up.

My Dad ( who passed away last year) is who willed these to me. The completed bird is still in the hanger on his property in Bloomfield. He flew 1st Cav as well ... CW4. He went stir crazy after retirement and started building and distributing these birds. He was hooked for sure. The legacy lives on I guess. You should call me so I can give you my step Mom's # and address in Bloomfield. I felt awful that I didn't havemy cleaning gear with me as she really needs and wants to have her house cleaned ( brick...usual build up... and an easy clean with right equip) She has a lowes model and tries to clean it herself. We all know that's the hard way. Plus if you get rated and are interested, we are selling the bluebird in the pic I posted. It's already rated and inspected. Just needs all the fluids changed and charge the battery. Otherwise it's ready to fired up and I think she's less than an hour from you.

If in fact we don't sell it, we have decided to display it along with my Father's military parphanalia that is at the air museum in Dexter ????

The reason I didn't transport this one back is because I wanted to start from the ground up and learn every piece. Originally the factory was in Excelsior Springs, but Renke now owns them and actually sells them with updated parts including the P.E.P. Awesome. Let me know if you are interested in the bird or contacting my step Mom about cleaning her house. It's a single ranch that is an easy clean. But...... she has well water so you might want to bring your own. Your call.

I'm attaching a top secret helicopter photo to add to your collection!

Larry so that was you in my back pasture wiping out my crop! :lgwave: :lglolly:

talk about a way to cut down on inspecting rooftop exhaust fans....:eek: That would be great to fly over restaurants and see who's is dirty then go hit'em up.

What fun!

That will be GREAT for roof topping!

How many gals of chem will it haul?

My brother just bought a Zenith STOL project and will use a rotax 912 in it.

I think he's parked his snowbird.

What engine will you use? Delavan, or the old reliable shurFly ? Ha!

Please send updated photos when XJet mounted on the skid.

r

You should call me so I can give you my step Mom's # and address in Bloomfield. I felt awful that I didn't havemy cleaning gear with me as she really needs and wants to have her house cleaned ( brick...usual build up... and an easy clean with right equip)

Let me know if you are interested in the bird or contacting my step Mom about cleaning her house. It's a single ranch that is an easy clean. But...... she has well water so you might want to bring your own. Your call.

I'll get in touch with you this week. I bet I know people who were acquainted with your father if the was at all involved the EAA here. They fly out of a grass strip in Painton MO, not far from Bloomfield.