Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Advice spraying Ready Seal? 1st day Tommorow... Pics Attached

Question

Hey Guys, hope you all are having a great weekend! So I got my first batch of Ready Seal Med. Redwood in last week.. Tomorrow is going to be my first spray with this famous stuff! I'll be spraying 2 suspended redwood decks, spindles and rails as well. Ive attached some pics from last week's cleaning for your amusement. I cleaned with EFC-38 and brightened with Citralic. Going to spraying with my deckster

Any last minute advice on spraying the Ready Seal? I usually spray suspended deck spindle (back-sides) first, leaning over the rails technique.

Any help would be great, would really boost my pre-game confidence goiing into this. Thanks!

post-1749-137772181946_thumb.jpg

post-1749-13777218195_thumb.jpg

29 answers to this question

umm. when you water them down your trying to rely on water to clean some the product away as if water is a suitable solvent for oil or oil based solvents. Part of the product as well as any mineral spirits used for cleanup of brushes, etc, are still there to evaporate out especially if your not using degreaser. Just rinse tarps if ya like before folding them and either throw rags in can if not too bad or rinse them in spirits and wring them out before placing in can. The goal is only to remove pigments and resins from them to reuse. You will be able to reuse as soon as they dry of the spirits. Take the can out of rig and place away from buildings with lid off to get things to dry.

Here's the thing, Kevin. I'm not trying to break your stones (well I am a little bit) but let's use OSHA's standards or for that matter even UPS's shipping standards. The only reason I bring this up is because this past week I had an issue with shipping WoodZotic. Something that is combustible can be shipped via UPS ground with no special classification (based upon flash point). Something that is "flammable" needs special handling and is considered Hazmat. Like I said, I don't know all the caveats of definitions. I was hoping you could clear up what I don't understand.

Let me attempt to clarify.

First lets define a few often confused terms,

Combustion - A self sustaining chemical reaction yielding energy or products that further reactions of the same kind.

Fire - A rapid self sustaining oxidization process producing light and heat.

Flash Point - The minimum temp. required for liquid or volatile solid to give off vapors to form an ignitable mixture with air near its surface. The vapors will flash in the presence of an ignition source, but will NOT continue to burn.

Flammable - Capable of burning or producing flame.

The flash point is used to determine how flammable a liquid is. Liquids with lower flash points (lower temps.) and burn easily are classified as flammable liquids, those liquids with higher flash points (higher temps.) are classified as combustible liquids. In general the lower the flash point, the greater the hazard.

In order for combustion to take place, four elements are required. Fuel, Oxidizer (O2), Heat and Chemical chain reaction.

Imagine a triangle, one point being Fuel, a second point being Oxidizer, the third being Heat, and in the center, Chemical chain reaction. If you remove any of the four elements, combustion is not possible. This model is known as the "fire tetrahedron".

Combustion is a reaction, an example of a slow reaction would be oxidation (rust), a rapid example would be an explosion.

Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, Matt, post some after pics.