Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Larger Battery for Deckster?

Question

Thinkin about getting a larger battery for my deckster set up. Possible? I know, pretty ignorant. Im thinking of dropping in a larger 12V marine battery. Anyone done this?

8 answers to this question

It is true that any size battery would certainly work. The drawback to using a "full-size" battery is the weight and balance of the entire sprayer. We began the design of the machine with a large battery (about six years ago) and found the sprayer to be much more difficult to maneuver (particularly up and down steps). We tried using lighter-weight full-size batteries, and found their useful charge to be too short. The move to the smaller battery size made a world of difference, so we concentrated on finding the best small battery. While the cost of the smaller battery is as much or more than the cost of a large-size battery, the reduced weight and improved balance offset the cost difference in our judgement. I believe that once you try a larger battery, you may be disappointed.

The switchover is quite simple, however, as battery boxes in the larger size are commonly sold at boat supplies and some auto supply stores. If you need any help, just call. We have years of design work invested in this sprayer, and we want you to be happy with yours.

True you can use a large battery as long as it's 12 volt, but why would you want the extra weight? We used a large marine battery early on, and the employees used to leave the machine behind. When asked why, we were told the unit was too heavy for lifting in and out of the van each day. That's why we offer the current deep cycle-gel filled, small sized battery. It make a big difference to the operator from a weight stand point. And those batteries hold up just as long as a larger one will. Lead acid type batteries can eventually develop a "memory" with the constant discharge-recharge of the battery. I had it happen to me. Only got a 1/2 hour out of a fulled charge one. Then I went to the battery companies and learned some info that lead us to the current battery. We have had great success since. Keep in mind, a lees costly battery will work for a while, but in the long run, you do get what you pay for.

Matt,

I have used the same 12 volt, large, heavy, deep cycle marine type battery on my decker 5'er for the past 4 years. The advantages are two. First, the same battery has lasted a long time without replacement. Keep it on trickle charge when not in use.

Second, I'd near guess that you can spray for maybe three solid work days before needing a recharge. Can't recall the last job where when done, there was less than 75% charge capacity remaining. The PumpTec pump seems to be very efficient.

Pete and Tracy are right, these batteries are heavy. When loading / unloading the unit from the truck, we move the battery on and off separately. Long flights of steps same thing.

If the gel type batteries Sun Brite supplies last as long in overall lifetime, at half the weight and even half the charge capacity, you may want to try one. Especially if you are generally doing smaller wood jobs and not the miles of fence Shane stains in Texas.

Gel cells in starting battery format have been a disappointment for me in industrial equipment applications. They cost too much generally and lasted me no longer. They must be charged slower and at lower voltage to not be damaged. But that was in starting battery format so..

The newer/better alternative for light deep cycles is AGM (glass matt) batteries.

In regular flooded acid batteries the absolute best deep cycles are Surrette/Rolls, Crown, and then Trojan period.

The Trojan is really your best choice between quality, price, durability, and weight for most applications commercially as the Rolls is more for long term power (15-20 years) storage like in huge arrays of solar alternative energy.Thing to note though is they weigh heaps and that is key. The plate abuse from the lead conversion back and forth beween charged and discharged is what wears batteries out. Before long lighter cheap batteries loose their materials and it falls to the bottom...

The heavier the battery the longer it usually last as the plates are thicker.

If ya can't afford quality of a Trojan 12 volt then just get a Sears deep cycle. They last 2 to 3 year in daily use.

Also, if you want your batteries to last their longest you do three things...Charge them immedietely after use, use an auto charger that does not over charge in regular use(loose the acid), and then once in a while every month or so you equalize the stratified electrolytes between the cells by bubbling/over voltage charging them for a half day...(10% higher voltage)..my disertation for the day.. :)

Thanks for all the information guys. I appreciate the chiming in from the guys at Sunbrite. I should have begun by saying that I DO have the special battery that Sunbrite sells to accompany their deckster. So far, it has performed great for me. I keep a conventional small 'landscape' battery on board now in the event the main battery runs out on a jobsite. I have been trickle charging at the end of the day as a ritual and so far no worries. My post was really just to explore other alternatives, longer run-time,etc... I get it now. A deep marine 12V will run longer but may be prohibitively heavy and a real pain in the keister to carry around a jobsite. Makes sense! Thanks to everyone who has chimed in!

Part of the solution we have found is to add longer hose to the unit so once you set it up you don't have to move it until finished in most cases.

The larger deep cycle marine battery does what we need it to and is forgiving of the need to charge frequently.

We bought a new trickle charger system for the one mounted permanently in the van that keeps it at full charge 90% if the time. Nothing negative about the gel battery, we just made a different choice. Our crews are all muscle bound anyway so they don't mind it. It's a testosterone thing I guess.

Rod!~