Sign in to follow this  
bigchaz

WTW brown sugar?

Question

Customer wasn't a huge fan of the color in my honey gold pictures

I mentioned that the brown sugar color is available and although I haven't done any jobs with it that I would try and get some photos to show them

Anyone have some decks they would be willing to post pictures of or send to me?

email is charlie@apexdecksavers.com

These are not for advertising use by me or to be used for any means other than showing the color to a customer who has already signed on. Full credit will be given to the companies who performed the work

So yea brown sugar pics would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

19 answers to this question

Ill 2nd that on the brown suger tux pics, and raise you one, how about samples of decks with all colors offered( Clear, Gold, Brown Sugar , Western Ceder). Just new colors, not self tinted colors.

Where is the best place to order now?...Sealer store, or thru Extreme Solution? Who's got the best shipping ?

I ll see your request for sample pics and raise you one also. I will pay for wood samples/ cards of Wood Tux colors and/or Ready Seal colors. I am looking for samples on ptp. If nobody has any, I may do a bunch myself and make them available for sale. Its just a pain because I would want to get a seasoned board, percarb, brighten and wash, rip the board, split its thickness, plane, cut them to length and stain. drill a small hole at top and link them together so the arent as easily lost. I wonder if people would be interested if I did this and say $10 for each color plus shipping? I know I would pay that if the samples looked good.

I would definitely be interested in that, in fact I was even going to do that myself and make it into like a little keyring kind've thing. But, let me know if you are going to do that because that will save me some time.

Thanks

Kevin,

Certainly was not me. I only dabble from time to time with WTW on hardwoods. Plus I'd fire the guy that got that much stain on the concrete step pad.

On PT, does not look like there is enough pigment.

for clarification.. I don't use much brown sugar (black and yellow pigment ) on decks. All of my decks have a good amount of red mixed in as well. That pic though, has no red (I know cuz I mixed it). Any toning would be from the yellow.

Rick, there wasn't a single drop on the concrete. Thats tape that was over the edge of the tarp. The customer wanted (was adamant about using a clear. This was the compromised color as Kevin mentioned diluted 70% with mineral spirits . It has actually held up (to my surprise) for a year.

In the end ya got to give them what they want..Sounds and looks good to me Ken. I wrote down 50/50 though in my color sample book on that one..

Without blowing up the attachements don't it seem closer to the western cedar sample right next to it Ken? Thats photography for ya or maybe it my screen..

Personally I love the honey gold the best. But seems like every other person is a chore to convince them to use it. Everyone says no orange before I even present my proposal to them

Here is an orange one for you... This is the only deck I ever applied stiock WHG to. Of course this customer must have said "its not going to be orange is it?" like ten times. After Russell confirmed to me that nope, it wouldn't be orange and then after I started applying that "it will settle out" the frikkin thing was orange. This may have been a few years ago when a bad batch came out.

Just giving you guys that have used Wood Tux for the first time this year. When Russell changes back to Wood Tux Classic, paint some onto boards to sample out. Much more pigmentation stays near the surface and you will have very yellow and/or orange decks if you use it on pine or cedar.

8-2.jpg

Kevin,

RS Gold is I believe a clay pigmented product. I've use some on sample boards and it looks great on clean cedar, but it is not a 2 to 3 yr. stain like the normal RS.

Have never used it on a job and would be hard pressed to do so. Aside for some hardwoods, all my customers are looking for a minimum of 2 yrs. before maintenance and so am I.

Ken,

7 parts mineral spirits to 3 parts WT? Wow, the VOC police would have a fit! Amazing that it lasted a year.

I had to double check my notes. Yeah it was that high. The WT is loaded with so much trans-oxide pigment that diluting it that much probably brought it on par with Cabot's Clear Solutions or Deckscape's "toners". It will be ready to be redone at the end of the season though. As long as the customer is cool with that, so am I. Total cost of stain including min spirits: $25 lol