Sign in to follow this  
TrendyWendy

Ppe

Welcome Wendy! It's great seeing you here. We look forward to seeing you here often.

You might want to tell the members what PPE is... not everyone will know what the acronym stands for. Lots of newbies here along with the experienced contractors.

Beth :groovy3: :groovy:

Welcome to "The Board" TrendyWendy!

I assume you're talking about Personal Protective Equipment, ...and not Philosophy, Politics and Economics.

if so,

Eye protection ...ALWAYS! (have several types from goggles to face shield)

Gloves ...when in doubt (almost all the time). Have several types.

Respirator ...when spraying stains, acids or other dangerous chemicals where misting or atomizing occurs and inhalation is possible. 3M type with the appropriate filters for paint, stain and acids.

Back support belts ...to avoid back strain and long term back injuries.

Other protective apparel ...when using high pH (alkaline) strippers or low pH acids to protect from absorbtion thru porous skin.

Always read chemical labeling and MSDS for level of danger recommended protection.

Our safety motto is: ..."Safety First, and Make IT Last!"

Welcome to the board Wendy!!

I use gloves, nothing worse than getting burned from HOT water.

I also use eye protection, as replacements are not cheap.

Hearing protection is my best friend, as I have 3 engines going at once. I prefer the muff style as opposed to the ear plugs. Helps keep the ears warm too.

Leather steel toe boots, as I do not want to lose any toes. Can't figure out why people will wash in sandles, not worth the risk.

I am lagging in the respirator dept, but do use dust masks, and bandanas when blowing areas prior to washing.

Have MSDS sheets for each chemical I have on board, and have read them priuor to actually needing them.

Would like to add an eye wash staion to the trailer, but am lagging there too.

Wendy,

Our PPE consists of:

Heavy long cuff rubber gloves used mostly

Ear muffs-dont use ear plugs

Boots-either overshoes style or steel toe rubber boots

Hydration-have added camel back units for this purpose

Safety glasses

Disposable masks. Respirators if needed

Heavy rubber aprons if needed.

Rain jackets if needed

Hand soap and barrier cream

Eyewash

Plan on adding a carbon monoxide detector to the enclosed trailer

Always carry a container of vinegar on the truck to neutralize with if working with caustics in case of a splash or spill on you. Also carry a bottle of Coke for eye washing in this event.

No kidding.

Beth

Here are a couple more things to add to this list.

Fire Extinguishers – We carry one in the cab, crew cab, and in the back of our trucks.

First Aid Kits – We have them in the shop, office, and on each truck.

Dave Olson

Thanks, everybody! Glad to be here and glad to hear that you're working safely and have safety in mind and action. There were a couple of things mentioned that surprised me. And I never heard of the Coke-wash before...maybe one of y'all can get a sponsorship going?:deal: :)

Has anybody ever tried a Coke eye wash, or is this just pure theory?

Would an eye doctor recommend Coke over water or regular eyewash to irrigate the caustics from your eye?

:thinking:

Tony,

You read my mind on the coke.

Maybe this is one for cable progam Myth Busters!

It seems like way back in school we palced a piece of meat in coke and a day latter it was gone!

Obviously the exposure time was longer, but the eye is more sensitive.

I know that a coke (genericly speaking) will clean corroded battery terminals quickly.

No offense meant to Beth and Rob!!!!!!!!!

Water is normally the preferred method.

Acid in coke is fairly mild but would help neutralize the alkaline faster than water. Syrup in Coke would also make your eyes very sticky.

Personally, I would only use Coke if no water was available

(in case of emergency).

The acid in the coke is exactly why you would want to use it. You need to neut fast to save the eye. If you have sodium hydroxide buring an eye, you need to neut, and get to an eye doctor.

Like I said Doc Reisman taught us this (current PWNA Pres) in class, while showing us a photo of a damaged eye....

When in doubt, ask an optometrist or opthamologist what the best in the field method is to neutralize heavy amounts of a caustic fast.

The stickiness can be rinsed out by the doctor at the hospital, which would be your next stop if it's in your eye.

Beth

Instead of using Coke, you could also use something like club soda. Good source of unstable carbonic acid (which will react very quickly and breakdown quickly if you OD on it) and no sugars or additives.

As for my personal protection, many will probably laugh.

On a hot day, I wear shorts, a T-shirt, sandals, and my trusty "beach hat." I have found the hat to be more useful to me than anything else. And, the wife thinks it's "cute." I also use goggles (have you seen what degreasers to to polarized lenses on glasses!?!!?) and face shields if I am spraying above me.

Cold weather calls for waterproof boots, pants, and a waterproof jacket. Gloves, definitely. And......my hat.

Ryan H.

Ryan, not to be mean or step on your sandals, but what do you say to the folks who ask about your professional image? I hear a lot of complaints from contract cleaners about other contract cleaners doing their daily work in attire such as you described.

What is your philosophy on that? Do you mind sharing?

Wendy,

I've never had that issue come up. I do a pretty good job of "shooting the bull" with my customers before I ever do the job, so I kind of figure out how to present myself before going to do the cleaning. When I show up to give my quote, I always show up in clean, decent clothes and a clean, shiny truck. My customers realize that pressure washing is a dirty job, and don't expect me to dress the same when actually doing the job. I have actually had customers say that they envy me for being able to wear shorts on the job. Ultimately, my professional image is related to the job I do, not how I dress to get the job done. Take school, for example. My professors generally like the presentations I give and the organization of my work. If only they knew that I was usually nude when I did the initial calculations and homework at home......................

I realize image if very important. That is why I'm saving up to get a nice looking equipment setup. My equipment does everything I need, but it doesn't look the most professional. But I also think that my comfort and my ability to comfortably do a job, and to do the job with the best quality around, is more important than what I have on my feet.

And they always laugh when I pull on my hat and give them a big "let's get it done" smile. So that's good.

Ryan H.

Ryan,

Good point on the difference between acquiring the job and doing the job. I can relate in some ways. If the boss allowed me to work at home, I'd probably be in my pajamas a LOT more frequently. ;)

Where is Hampton, GA, by the way? Anywhere near Atlanta?

Ryan,

I have a pair of those same glasses I save for sealing days. I have gotten most of the speckles off, but not all. Try Fast Orange while the lenses are still fresh with sealant. It takes it off. After that, you're down to goof off.

I have good glasses, and sealing glasses, and never wear the good ones out to work in. I have goggles I wear over them in certain cases like when chems are used. A hat helps keep my hair from building up an accumulatoin of the worlds best hairspray! haha

I wear a CamelBak hydreation system to drink from, shorts, light t-shirt and tennis shoes. Dressing light when sealing is important. I have overheated before and learned the hard way.

PVC and boots when washing, eye gear, etc.

Beth

Wendy,

Hampton is about 30 miles south of Atlanta. Not too much to speak of in Hampton itself (in the way of PW business), but there are some larger cities neighboring it.

Ryan H.

What you wear is more important before you get the job.

Once you have the job, the quality of the work out-weighs how you are dressed (as long as you don't scare the customer).

Being dressed nice will not help you if the job is not satisfactory.

They will remember the quality longer than they will the color of your bleach stained shorts.