Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Have a Look at THIS BEAST ! Pics

Question

I looked a this whopper of a job last year and the client has finally got around to calling me to book the project. The shots pictured are of the front arbor structure, built out of old growth redwood. Unfortunately, no way to walk on the top of it as it sways like a one legged ostrich when ya shake it a bit. Amazing this thing was even built like it was here in earthquake country! It looks sturdy as hell, but, it aint... Ive done quite a few overhead arbors/pergulas like this, actually enjoy the intricacy and challenge of these sort of projects! Trouble is going to be access for pw'ing the front of the structure, hard to tell in the picture, but theres no way to get "in front" of it as its up 2 stories on a frickin' sloped hillside! IM thinkin lots of EFC-38, long dwell times, and long range rinsing using some extension lances? While the sides are damn near as detailed as you get, lots of angles, inside surfaces,etc, at least I can stand on the deck (ladder in some spots) and shoot it with some accuracy.

Any ideas on this one? Its a beauty! Im a real perfectionist with this sort of thing, and Im feelin a bit daunted right now. So many damn surfaces to get into! Any tips guys?

post-1749-137772182103_thumb.jpg

post-1749-137772182108_thumb.jpg

post-1749-137772182112_thumb.jpg

15 answers to this question

Now that's a cool arbor! :cool:

The cleaning part is the easiest it's gong to be the staining that's gonna suck lots of detailed work! Your deckster will reach that high with a cone tip for cleaning.You can always x-jet or downstream whichever you wanna use??

Is that redwood shingles too? They don't want you to restore those too?

I would rent scafold for each side and a walkboard to get above the structure. LOTS of plastic and spray away. $900 would be my price to wash and stain from what I can see.

Matt,

Happy belated birthday. Can see your quandry on access to the lower front fascia. My best guess would be an extension ladder with a small flex lance and low pressure. The higher front fascia looks like it can be reached from the floor with a smaller extension or larger stepladder.

Neat looking house. Pergola looks like a future Richter Scale victim.

I was thinking exactly what Jeffex said. Get some scaffold, and maybe use a smaller wand and work in between the "rafters" if you can. Plus, how high can you go up on the sides with a scaffold, this may give you a good vantage point.

Can't wait to see the 'during' and 'after' pics!!

glad you guys find this one as amusing as I do. Im really excited to tackle it! I think its gonna look great when Im finally finished with it. yeah, Im thinkin' extension ladders, low pressure tips that will make it easier for me to manage when im up there. Also, I'm planning on working that efc-38 dwell time, multiple washes if neccessary. ANYTHING to avoid having to hit every centimeter with swiss perfection. After spending 30minutes walking around it yesterday I told the client that I want him to have a 'heart attack' when he pulls in the driveway, want it to look that good! He laughed. Thankfully,,

Oh yeah, those shingles are also Redwood. The house was built appx. 30 years ago, mostly out of salvaged old growth redwood from a warehouse in Oakland. Client took me on a tour inside as well, AMAZING exposed rafters, all hand carved and shaped... really impressive work.

OKay... I'm going to start this project tommorow (Monday) ! Really looking forward to tackling this pergula/arbor/trellis structure in front. All that Old-Growth redwood, what a site! Im still a bit concerned about dealing with that pergula structure with al of the access issues. Main issue is the front of it where I really cannot get in front of it to shoot accurately due to a sloped hillside (cant see in pics...). Should be straight forward with my ladders on left and right side, underneath surfaces,etc... Just that front that might be an issue. Im thinking I'll really drench that hard to reach side in EFC, long dwell time, maybe even multiple applications? Perhaps this will help in the following way: I will be able to do a longer distance low-PSI rinse that wont require a perfect shot from down below with my extension lance.... Hmmmm

I got dibs on your equipment tommorrow evening when you are ready to call it quits in the wood restoration business. That is a monster job compacted into a small area. I'm playing with you. How long have you allocated to stripping it? Downstreaming HD-80 would have ben the way I'd tackle it. I think the EFC is gonna cause you more heartache.

Definitely keep us abreast of the project. I know you are into the detail of your work so I would expect your after pics are going to be stuning.

Ken, Think he may experience a tad heartache where the sunny areas run in under the roof or just cause it is a lot of wood?....

My preference would in no way include the chance of having to defelt that thing so I would stick with mild stuff or well diluted stronger stuff.

But hey this one really looks fun to me. I want to drive over and help..

I would use a real short angled wash wand and then double stain coat with hand hvlp.. All that inside wood work looks like a PITA otherwise to me with lots of leakage and strained muscles... :)

Because he is not going to be able to get even pressure like one would when washing a spindle or floor board I would want to make sure my chemical was potent enough to do the trick on the first spray. EFC (F-18, bleach or any cleaner) will fur wood just as easily as HD at the right dilution. If its gonna fur, its gonna fur. EFC is also only able to be diluted to acertain rate. I would once again go the the HD for the downstream/chem application factor.

Hey thanks guys, yeah I've been thinkin about HD all day. Think Im gonna start out with the EFC38 first, see how it goes before moving on to the HD. Ive built plenty of time into this job. Actually have a bunch of weathered deck to tackle underneath the arbor as well as a couple suspended's on the other side. Should allow me to be patient with the dwell on this arbor, keep coming back to rinse and evaluate. Cant wait to get at it!

yup...nothing but hd for you hu ken?..i feel ya and where yer comin from..:)

I try to make everything as systematic and efficient as possible. For my business its best for me to have as few chemicals on board as is possible. Otherwise I get into more training, more paperwork via specific work orders and slowed performance. We have limited space on the deck trucks. They have to carry pw'er, chemicals, stain, sprayers, chem tanks, sanders, etc. Having multiple chemicals is something I expreimented with in the beginning and found it to be not neccessary.