Sign in to follow this  
ACSTravis

Clear WTW on cedar playset?

Question

Hello all,

A customer of mine just got a brand new cedar playset. She is in love with the color and would like to keep it like that. I recommended putting clear WTW on it. I don't have that much experience with cedar, so what can I expect with a clear sealer on it as far as color fading/changing, etc.? I also don't know if I need to clean it since it is brand new. So do I need to clean it with light pressure or not?

Thanks in advance,

post-1958-137772182167_thumb.jpg

15 answers to this question

Your customer should have asked the salesman if it would stay that color. There are a few clears out there which claim to inhibit UV degradation. I haven't experimented with any. I would just go with RS natural cedar.

It might have a clear on it already by the looks of it? Most of the play sets i've seen haver a sealer on them.

Did you test it with water?

If it does call the maker of the play set and find out what sealer is on it so you won't have to strip it to maintain it.

Yeah, I tested it with water and there is no sealer on it. But I'm still wondering what cedar looks like after UV rays get to it, or even what it looks like with RS Natural Cedar on it. If anyone can show me some pics, that would be great.

Thanks,

Unless "crystal" (which is an amber clear) is still being offered, wtw does not come in anything less pigmented than honey gold.

Clear formulations do not have near the UV protection capability as other products with more pigmentation and solid content in them. Those that absorb UV rays will color shift and fail faster than those that reflect them.

Rod!~

Beth and Rod,

Can you guys send me some pics of what Honey Gold and Brown Sugar look like on cedar? I would like to show my customer exactly what they will get, but I haven't had much experience with cedar.

Thanks

I buy clear so I can cut product and I use it! Woodrich might be a better solution . It takes a while to get any penitration on new playscapes.

I agree. New cedar can be difficult to stain with a heavy body stain. It just doesn't want to absorb very well. I would go with the Woodrich Timberoil or Stain and Seal. Easy to apply on new cedar.

Clear "Patina" will not offer UV Protection since it has very little Trans Oxides to absorb the Sun. It will gray naturally while preserving the wood from other elements.

Travis,

This is a pic of Ready Seal natural cedar on 16 year old clear cedar that was heavily covered in that mold prone Behr's and stripped hard.

With new cedar, the color will be much lighter. Wood was wet after a rain shower but should give you some idea.

cedar-RSnatcedar.jpg