Sign in to follow this  
JeffWard

Moss removal

we have a small shed and a 2 car garage in the woods, the shingles are covered with green moss. other than that they are in good condition. with limited tools. I have a sp2 backpack sprayer Model# 01SPO504-1 to apply. have sprayed Chlorine with before to clean my house shingles. my questions are how to kill and remove the moss? I assume by what i've read i would use copper sulphate. if so how much do i mix into 4 gals of water? when i spray it on do i just leave it or is it rinsed off? and where do i get this stuff? then after a couple week i was thinking of applying the cleaner, least time i mixed Chlorine/water 50/50 and added a spoon full of TSP for every 2 galons. and rinse the roof after 20 minutes. is this the correct way to do this or am i way off base? any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Zink sulfate is a powder and can br purchased at the feed store. Sprinkle it on thick and the moss will be dead in 5 weeks. Zink cloride is available at most any garden type store and can be sprayed on. Mix acording to the lable. 5 weeks also. Bleach tsp borax is also another quick method. but zink

is a better maintaince product.

That zinc sulphate might be a good ingredient in a rinse, to keep things from coming back...

I thought it was interesting when you mentioned results after 5 weeks, or so, when applying the zinc sulphate by sprinkling...

HUGE difference in attitude between the great Pacific Northwest and us down here in Socal. These people want it done NOW and expect better than new!

r

I have a sp2 backpack sprayer Model# 01SPO504-1 to apply.

Jeff,

I am truely surprised that none of the other pro's have mentioned this early on.

Spraying, caustics, 12% bleach, brighteners etc.from a backpack sprayer is bad news. You can get some nasty burns on your backside. Think about what your chemical is desinged to do, and then , think about what it can do to your skin.

.........just the medic in me coming out!!!!!!!

We can do it NOW with Applesauce. But if you live in the trees or near by,

gonna need zink every year.(maintaince program)

Search out the Hillbilly Roof Treatment thread I started here a while back.

In it, there are some ideas about treating a roof.

The idea in treating a roof is to be sure there is always some Moss/Algae posion ON the roof.

Once rinsed off, most prevention chemicals are almost useless, unless re applied every year.