Sign in to follow this  
The Rob

deck

Question

19 answers to this question

I had a guy call me a couple of days ago and wanted this deck done as soon as possible. I told him it would need to warm up, and at the earliest it would be March or April before it would be warm enough, he said that was ok. The deck is approximately 400 sq. ft, it has 15 steps, and 175 balusters. I told him to do it right it needed to be stripped, and sanded. The guy told me he was going to put it up for sale, and that all he was really looking at was a bandaid fix on it, but to go ahead and give him a price both ways. I told him that I would use either Cuprinol or Wood Tux, he said that Cuprinol was good but had never heard of the other. He then said that he didn't really care, just use the same color and make it look good. I have an idea what I will charge, but would like an idea what other people would charge for doing the deck. It will need to be pressure washed, and then stained.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Robert

I posted one in a new thread, didn't think about posting a reply in here until just now, to make them all in the same thread. I will the next time, just have to learn how to do these pictures right!

There is also one in the test area, but it wouldn't let me post a duplicate picture in this area.

Robert

Alan,

Thanks for straightening out the posts.

Ron,

No, just the top of the deck, rails and balusters, and the band joist around the outside. The sides of the step risers will have to be done, but nothing has to be done to the underneath side as far as stripping it or staining.

Thanks, Robert

I think it is Behr, it's pretty common around here. The rails will have to be sanded at the minimum. I was called to do this deck a couple of years ago, but it was too wet at the time to do it, and they wanted it done in a very short time. I told them that it would just depend on how wet it was if I could get it done in the time frame or not. They told me that my price was fine, but wanted me to promise to get it done by that certain date. I told them that I coundn't do it, that if it stayed wet, it shouldn't be done until it did dry. They went ahead and had someone else do it anyway. The stain failed, and now it needs to be done again! It could have been just the stain, that it was too wet, or the combo of both!

Robert

Robert,

I'm not sure why you feel you have to sand. If it's just Behr semitransparant, it will strip easily with a product like HD-80, which you can order from Beth on this board. I rarely have to sand, and if I do, it's just to touch up an area or to smooth out a hand rail. It's all in the chems and your technique.

I'd be in the $750-800 range for strip, neut, stain. Two guys to wash in about two hours. Three guys to stain by brush and roller in about three hours. May seem too fast, but we do so many jobs that we just fly thru decks like this one.

Tony,

The hand rails are rough, they are what will have to be sanded. The deck floor shouldn't need much, if any sanding at all. Thanks for the reply.

Robert

One thing to keep in mind, is that different products that people use to seal with are not created equal. Some have no anti-fungal or mildewcide. Some do. Some have more than others. Some have lesser quality ones, some have high quality ones. It's important to make sure the product (finish/sealer) you apply is formulated to withstand the elements. Not all are....

If you visit decks and see that a product seems to have a pattern of allowing for growth time and time again, I would stay away from it.

Just my .02 worth.

Beth :groovy3:

I don't use any paint or stain products from Home Depot. I was painting some barns about 4 years ago, and decided to try Home Depot's barn Paint. I could spray about 3-4 minutes, and then my sprayer would clog up. I had used Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, even Wal-Mart's paint, and never had a problem with any of it. I called the manufactor of my airless sprayer and told them what was going on. They told me that Home depot used a lot of clay filler in their paint, and that was the problem. They told me to either strain the paint or get a different brand. Straining didn't work the best, so I went and bought another brand of paint, and never had a bit of problem again. Of course I was stuck with 5 gallons of red barn paint that I couldn't spray, so I grabbed a roller and rolled the lower parts of the barn with it, just to get rid of it. That left a bad taste with me for anything from Home depot that had to do with painting or staining. I have since then used Sherwin-Williams almost exclusively for painting and staining, but am thinking about trying some Wood Tux out for staining. Will just have to set down and figure out how the price will compare between the two.

Robert

First I wood do a test spot to see if I had to strip it ?Clean and seal (9 or 10 gallons RS )- 1000.00 - Strip I'd be at 1500.00

400 + steps 15 x 5= 75 spindles 175 x 3 = 525 Total feet 1000

I start at a dollar a foot and move to a dollar fifty fo stripping

According to the April 2003 issuse of Cleaner Times, here is what the average price would be for this deck as I understand it:

12 x 28 = 336 sq. ft. 336 x $1.50 = $504.00 for cleaning and sealing

Steps: 15 x 5 = $75.00

Rails: 75 x 2.53 = $189.75

sanding: .5 x 92.5 = $46.25

total: $815.00

stripping and sealing would be:

336 x 2.02 = $678.72

steps= $ 75.00

rails= $189.75

sanding= $ 46.25

total= $989.72

I will round this to an even $1000.00, and see what the customer has to say about the bid. It does seem like most agree the bid would be in the $1000 range, some a little more, some a little less! What are some of the other ways this is figured, break it down more than this, or strictly by the hour?

Thanks, Robert