Sign in to follow this  
Ron Musgraves

Save gas and diesel,

Save gas and diesel,

Ok wiz, I have a question that I need a good answer.

I have never used and electric machine, I want to know how they work and if the power supply is good enough do they work like a gas power machine?

I need 3500 and hot water, in your opinion do they work well.

Next can I convert these gas guzzlers motors to electric? And what would be the easiest way to do it?

Ron,

The power requirements for electric motors the size you are going to need are going to require an awfully large generator. The size of that alone will take up most of your space. Check out Dave Olsen, he uses electirc motors on his set ups.

so how many watt genny do yah need...???? would a 4500 watt do it?

No Ron you will need a much bigger generator probably around 15,000 watt. 10,000 may work, but i would think it would be close. May take a little more than the 10,000 watts to start the machine.

One thing about the electric machines is that you can either buy one with a full shut down (when you let off the trigger the entire machine shuts down either right then or with a built in timer), or can install one if the machine doesn't come with it. I believe this greatly improves the life of the machine.

Thanks for the answers, I will wait to see what the factory is cooking up.

This is a large stadium here in AZ and i want to use all electric units so we can keep the roof closed. No emisions. The trucks can actually pull in... I may plug into there power?

I would think that a gas machine would be more efficient than an electric. If you use a generator, your gonna throw a ton of gas into that. If you are hooking up to an outlet, the electricy is being produced by burning gas, diesel, coal, wood, etc. Just my thoughts.

When I first bought this company ten years ago, my wash truck was set up like this.

It had two Cat pumps (3000psi w/ 4gpm) with 7.5 hp electric motors. Everything was running off a 15 KW genset. It ran the motors, a water pump to keep the pressure steady because one pressure washer was mounted on top of the other so gravity was out of the question. It worked great, but an expensive setup for nothing, but the former owner of the company had everything on hand so he just built this setup. The truck burnt and insurance paid so I now have two general pumps with 4gpm, 4000psi with 18hp Honda's. Also have a 5800psi, 6.6 gpm with a 38hp Lombardini diesel all in the back of my truck. BTW its in back of a 5 ton with a 24 ft box.

My advice if you want portable, don't go electric. ITS NOT WORTH IT. You won't save any money on fuel, the genset take up quite a bit of fuel to run plus its very expensive if you want a good reliable one. Then.....well I won't go into repairs...

Dan

I would think that a gas machine would be more efficient than an electric. If you use a generator, your gonna throw a ton of gas into that. If you are hooking up to an outlet, the electricy is being produced by burning gas, diesel, coal, wood, etc. Just my thoughts.

agreed, how about I save money and the customer buys the coal

Hey Ron, have you found out anything? I was thinking the same thing. How about making your own bio-fuel from used restaurant cooking oil? Heard McDonalds is considering doing that to run their trucks.