Sign in to follow this  
jakeman

Help,soap won't draw when upstreaming

Question

I just set up my new rig. I have a 5.6gpm, 3500psi hot water Alkota with a 525 gal. water tank. My problem is that when drawing water from my tank and upstreaming soap is not getting drawn from my chem tank. When I bypass my tank and hook the water up to my machine it does draw up soap. I put a small 12 volt diaphram pump with auto shut off on my chem line and was able to draw soap but it also filled my tank with soap when I released my gun trigger. I then installed a check valve right after my tank but for some reason the water will not flow through my check valve. (no it's not on backwards.) I'm at my wits end and any suggestions would appreciated. Thank You.

9 answers to this question

That's God telling you to stop upstreaming and switch to a downstreamer. No check valves needed and no corrosive stuff running through your pump.

OR XJET

Whats an X-Jet? Is that the thing that holds down my papers in the glove box?

Is that an Xjet in your pocket or...............................

I've been downstreaming for about 5yrs but have recently started washing heavy equipment and upstreaming is much more effective. I don't upstream acid and I don't think that soap is that hard on my pump. Thanks for the tips though. Got my problem solved, faulty check valve.

I know a couple guys that upstream some harsh freakin chems for Kitchen exhaust cleaning and they've been doing it a long time. Sounds like it would eat your pump alive, but I think it you rinse it really well afterwards, it will hang in their for a long time.

But just washing heavy equipment, I don't see why you couldn't downstream and get enough concentration of chemical. Maybe you are just not using the correct chem? Sounds like you need a foamer though ;)

I've been downstreaming for about 5yrs but have recently started washing heavy equipment and upstreaming is much more effective.

Stronger ratio when upstreaming.

I don't upstream acid and I don't think that soap is that hard on my pump. Thanks for the tips though. Got my problem solved, faulty check valve.

Soap can make the coil scale faster. No big deal, just know that it may need cleaning more often.

Wizzard could probably tell us some real world figures on how much damage is or isn't caused by standard/mild cleaners being upstreamed. He works on them Hotsies which I believe are geared towards the concept for many a years...

I just don't do it myself. Can't risk wearing things out or clogging things at a faster pace.