Sign in to follow this  
Rick2

Scary Problem

I woke up last night at 4:00 am to the sounds of our 2 year old (the one in the picture) screaming. When I opened the door to his bedroom I found the place swarming with bees. They had built a nest above the ceiling and ate a hole through the sheetrock (right above his crib) and swarmed the room. He was stung many times but the doctor says he'll be okay.

Anyone else ever have a problem like this with bees? The house is a newer Cape (10 years old with ceder siding).

Eric

Thank God your child will be alright. Get an exterminater in there and check the entire house. We had a local bee man in our town as we were growing up, he became an expert on bee's, some how 2 walls of his entire home got infested with bees. He actually dismantled parts of his house to get them out and studdied bees. when ever people in our area had bee problems they called him, he ended up breeding bees & honey

Get your whole house checked

I wonder if you had blueboard and veneer plaster instead of sheetrock and mud - if the bees would have gotten through? Heck - in the early 50's 2-coat plastering systems over blueboard was still popular and that had a real good thickness!

The exterminater came today and told me what the problem was. The bees came in through a dormer and set up shop in the bedroom. He told me they build the nest between the insulation and the sheetrock. When the nest gets to a certian size it becomes moist in the middle as does the sheetrock. The bees begin to dig into this moist spot until they make a hole in the sheetrock That's when the s#it hits the fan. He also tells me this is a common problem. He took care of the nest with a hugh "fogging" in the attic.

Little Patrick had a kickin' feavor and lots of vomit but he's sleeping it off as I type this. Needless to say I wasn't power washing today.

It might not hurt to have your house fogged too. A small hole in the ceiling for access (and cover it with a 50 cent plate from Lowes) and reduce your worries. You don't want your chid to go through what Patrick went through.

Eventhough we keep a real clean "tight" house these bees still got in. I"ll try to post pictures of it when my wife comes home. I'm not too good at these computers.