Sign in to follow this  
CCHSNC

Your Favorite House Wash Brew

Question

103 answers to this question

I like the emulsifier plus. I tried several home brews, and none of them worked as well as the emulsifier.

There may be better products, but I haven't tried them all. The emulsifier plus works well, and it's reasonably priced, so I haven't had the need to change.

Envirospecs Limonene works well

Sun Brite's All-Brite also provides good results.

Hotsy's Ripper I works but is extremely expensive in comparison to others. As I understand, Ripper I is more cost effective for fleet cleaning from what they say.

In every pail of house wash mix, I include a small squirt of Cascade rinse aid, and 4 oz of wax. The wax is a cherry scented variety that is commonly used at car washes. It is a sheeting wax, which means it makes the water just 'sheet' off, as opposed to beading. One additional feature of the wax is that the cherry scent helps to mask the chlorine odor.

Tony,

Have you found it to be more economical to buy the Cascade over a gallon of rinse aid from a supplier? I currently use a similar brew and have found when I add the wax it really cuts down on the suds. Are you experiencing the same? If so have you done anything to raise the level of foaming? What type of detergent are you using?

x-jet your wash mix and upstream your wax.

Want sud's, use dawn and a foamer tip.

Tony use's emulisfer plus from e-spec

cascade is for cleaning and stop's some spot's.

JET DRY is for use when you dont want spot's on glass.

Have you seen the TV ad for the spot free car wash?

It has a built in water filter.

A water filter/softner is the very best way to go. I wish i had one.

You could save a ton on chem's because you would use far less of them and do a better job.

I use DI water to hit the windows when I am done. It is not very economical for everyone to do that. I get the luxury of having it because I also do car lots and I always have a DI tank on board. I also use a water softener. Spots I don't have a problem with. I have used that Delco wax but had problems with it and just realized why not that long ago. When it said use so many ounces of wax I was using the concentrate. I was supposed to cut it down and then use so many ounces per gallon. That stuffed caked up the windows pretty bad. In a 5 gallon bucket I was using 1 cup of concentrate. It says to add 16 oz to 300 gallons of water. I was adding 8 oz to 5 gallons. So I was 30 times stronger then I was supposed to be. Oops. Oh well. You live and learn.

Robert,

I have not noticed the addition of wax to cut down on suds. The emulsifier plus provides plenty of suds.

As Ron mentioned, it is JET Dry that I add a small squirt of into my house wash mix. I don't know it it's more economical than other ways, it's just how I do it. Actually, I haven't noticed anybody selling a similar rinse aid by the gallon. Anybody have a source for that?

Hey Tony, didn't in another thread you ask me if I was near Spring Lake? It is about a half hour north of me. I have one car lot I do in Spring Lake. Does your Emulsifier plus turn out ok doing it by the batch? I have been making 55 gallons of it every time. This year I had about 40 gallons left over and nowhere to put it to keep it from freezing. I was able to get 4 - 5 gallon containers to save half of it. The 55 gallon drums are cool in the spring but a pain to make a whole batch near fall. I would like to make a couple drums in the spring and then say after Labor Day only do it by the batch. How much Emulsifier do you use per 5 gallon pail? Do you measure by volume or weight?

Steve,

I have a buddy in the biz in the Spring Lake area, that's why I asked if you were near there.

Yes, the Emulsifier works well mixing by the batch. That's the only way I do it. I dump the 40# bag into old pails that previously had HD-80 in them, and carry one on each trailer.

I mix two measuring cups per pail. By weight, that is approximately 10-11 oz per cup. I had to experiment a bit to find what worked best for me.

I don't like mixing up whole drums because I just don't have enough storage area.

During winter cold months, I round up all my chems, group them in a circle, and cover with an electric blanket set on low. It keeps them just warm enough to prevent freezing.

Originally posted by Tim Smith

5gal bucket = 2gal of bleach + cup of dawn + cup of liquid (Zep) truck wax.

works great.

Do you xjet that mix or downstream, I was also looking at Zep's line of products and wonder if their walmart stuff is as good as the contractor stuff.

I would think in most cases the contractor grade Zep would be a stronger mix than the retail version. Imagine the product liability that would go along with powerful chems in untrained hands.

I just tried Pressure tek's 6136 the other day and was very satisfied. I also used some liquid cascade inplace of my regular rinse aid and was also quite satisfied. I will post some more info once I work out the mixture ratios.

Guest rfitz

You guys must spend a fortune on washing, with these chems you are mentioning, I use 1 for all, houses, decks, gutters, etc.. and nothing beats it,

not gutter zap, emuls. plus, etc.. 6136 at 50-1 downstream, and 3-4 to 1 for gutters, beats GZ hands down, and is almost half the price, you should use rinse aids as car wash's do, with your rinse cycle, not in your soap, that defeats the whole purpose, that is why they call it rinse aid not soap aid..?

Talk to all the car wash soap manufactures, they will tell you how to do it,

a couple of gallons of industrial rinse aid will last you all year,

Once you use it, you wont go back, contact Bob at www.pressuretek.com and he can get you a 55 gallon drum for cheap, it will blow you away, trust me, Ive tried them all, and wasted alot of time and money...

I also use 2 downstreamers, one for soap, and one for bleach, that way I can use both at once without ever mixing chems until they hit whatever I am cleaning, it also lets me adjust my formula for each house since each one is different, more moldy, or more dirt, dirty,

Its nice only having one cleaner on my van, saves a ton of space and money

not just in my vehicle but storing it as well

Hope this helps you guys get faster and richer...: )

I hope that everything works well with your new setup.

My experience has been that there are trade offs for every way you do things. There is no perfect way to wash a house.

Personally, I feel there's better application control using an xjet.

If I'm using a dual lance wand, downstreaming is ok, because I have the variable control, which is very conveniant. Washing trucks is a good application for d/s.

When a 12' Extendawand is attached, how would I switch between d/s and rinsing, without changing tips? The flow control knob on the injector is back in the trailer, right?

The only advantage I see is not having to carry around a pail.

If 6136 is a multi purpose or mobile wash soap, then it probably doesn't have all the ingrediants necessary to be a complete house wash product.

Emulsifier Plus however, has several ingrediants that were added to enhance the performance as a house wash specifically, such as wetting, chelating, rinsing, and emulsification properties.

Bleach for the most part does not like to be blended with other chemical products. Many chemicals in the mobile wash industry can create an explosive situation when mixed with sodium hypochlorite.

Practice good safety, and good luck.

You hit it on the head, Rob!

When you put rinse aid in your detergent, you are weakening your detergent. You can get the same results by using less detergent. Best place for the rinse aid is in the rinse water.

Detergents also work better and the rinse is faster/easier when your water is not hard.

How many have taken a shower in a small town hotel that had hard water. Even with high water temperatures, the soap does not rinse easily when the water is hard. However, when the water is softer, the temperature can be lowered.

Now this is a good thread, now when you say the rinse aid goes in the rinse water I take it you don't have to rinse after the rinse aid.

I have heard many good things about 6136 though as Rob said, but hey Rob, when is Bob gonna change the name to stop confusing people ;) he is a good guy..

That is correct. It is a good practic to use your rinse aid in your rinse water but keep in mind there are different types of rinse aids out there. Lets use cascade and jet dry for instance both of these products aid in the rinsing process but one in in the detergent and the other is a seperate step. I personally have been using an automotive rinse aid in my wash and like rftz says it definately cuts down on the suds, I can't be bothered lugging a bucket and extra lines around for the whole house washing process. So I recently tried cascade like APlus and found I had great sudsing along with a great finished product. My only concern with the cascade is will it be cost affective?? I will be doing research to see if it can be bought in 5gal or larger containers.